PDA

View Full Version : difference in bolt on cylinders?

Grande Huevos
04-26-2010, 05:06 PM
Im wanting to know the pros and cons in a bolt on cylinder and regular one? from my understanding bolt ons do not require case machining? non bolt ons get cases trenched is this right? whats the differences?

cdrookie
04-26-2010, 07:01 PM
u got it. in theory the long sleeve length aids in reliability but i've known of 1 or 2 bolt on cylinders that have years on them and get used pretty hard

Grande Huevos
04-26-2010, 08:43 PM
yeah i used to have a ct 310 and it ran great but now im kicking around the idea of a 330 a guy has but i dont kno if its bolt on or not? says it has 4 mm crank im just wondering if it will last cause i usually ride pretty hard and sometimes go on long rides and dont want to be left stranded

zedicus00
04-27-2010, 10:11 AM
they dont start getting unreliable until 350cc.

that is also a terrible generalization though.

bolting a hot top end onto a tired bottom end is going to give you problems.

basically if you are considering a big bore, freshen up the bottom end, have the cases machined at the same time, then you can put whatever you want to on it.

even the 350's can be pretty reliable if everything is up to snuff.

machwon
04-27-2010, 04:47 PM
Because of the short skirts on the bolt ons they really hammer the intake side of the piston. You will want to be very aware of this and replace the piston more frequently than a full sleeve version. The bolt on's also only have 1 or 2 oversizes as the 3rd and 4th overbores will hit the crankcases.