PDA

View Full Version : hmf header issues

supraloud84
04-26-2010, 05:39 AM
I have what I believe to be an older series hmf full exhaust on my quad ( the header is attached to the flanges with springs). It seems that whatever springs i use they some to loosen up and strech fairly quick. Has anybody else had this issue? If so, What did you do to resolve the problem. It is getting redundant having to change the springs a few tims a season because they are causing an exhaust leak.

Thumpin440ex
04-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Weld the header pipes to the flanges, problem solved..

John

supraloud84
04-26-2010, 04:03 PM
I considered that option. Unfortunately im not sure what kind of metal it is. Im pretty sure its not normal steel and I dont have access to a tig. I really dont wanna booger the thing up with the mig. I appreciate the input though.

Thumpin440ex
04-26-2010, 04:56 PM
If it is a HMF system, I would be willing to bet it is stainless steel. Put a magnet on it, to see.. All you need to do is take it to somebody that can weld or has a stainless roll in there mig, or if you have one, get a small roll of stainless. If it turns out to be mild steel then you know atleast the welds will hold.. Stainless will work with mild steel, visaversa, makes a nice weld aswell...I doubt it is a titanium pipe..

John

supraloud84
04-26-2010, 06:06 PM
Thanks. I will have to check it with the magnet. I didnt even think of that. If that is the case then that will definitely solve the problem.

97WarriorRider
04-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Not all stainless is non magnetic. You could just contact HMF also.

MidnightBlade
04-27-2010, 04:23 PM
only problem with welding stainless with mild steel wire is that the weld will rust out and the the stainless will stay there.

CJM
04-27-2010, 05:52 PM
Drill thru it and tap for a small hex head style bolt you can get at a hobby shop, then seal it with loctite or copper gasket maker-problem solved.