PDA

View Full Version : It just quit

CJM
04-25-2010, 09:59 PM
Im gonna ask this for a friend, cause I am damn curious to see wtf happened.

Went riding saturday, we got up maybe a few hundred yards and his 05 stalled out and refused to turn back over. Initially I figure something electrical came undone (really rocky bumpy trail) but everythings fine.

Rest of us kept riding and he went home. We ge tback and he had checked and changed the plug-no issues there.

About a week after he bought it I came over his house and they are checking it out and its making a loud ticking/knocjing noise! I pull the dipstick and the oil POURS out. It musta had at least a full extra qt in it. We shut it down and changed oil, no metal pieces, oil did have metal particles in it and we rode about 2 hours a few weeks later no issue. Previously he had rode it for maybe an hour or so with it like that-no issues.

Heres whats been checked/done:
-adjusted the valves and triple checked them so no issues there
-changed plug
-Checked for spark, no issue
-Its getting fuel I can smell the stink after trying to crank it tons
-battery and starter seem fine, its cranking over strong.
-Im not sure if its the headgasket (its the gasket between the one head and the other) is leaking slightly.

Engine (possibly) sounds bad trying to start up-like something let go.

I am thinking if its getting fuel, it has spark that means either timings off or it doesnt have enough compression. Gonna do a compression test at least and see and use mine as a baseline, but Im thinking timing chain let go-its been ticking LOUDLY compared to the 3 other ones we have.

Any ideas?

nastyrider17
04-25-2010, 10:14 PM
Check out the oil system to see if there's anything clogged or messed up.

CJM
04-26-2010, 08:42 AM
Anyone else got an idea?

hjsmith00843
04-26-2010, 10:10 AM
I would pull the side cover and check the timing system. Maybe the tensioner went bad and caused other damage.