PDA

View Full Version : 450 Shocks

fromtheside88
04-25-2010, 09:29 PM
I thought I would just throw this out there, a coupla months ago I bought some used trx450 shocks from a guy in southern Indiana, and I just wanted to say that they are working AWESOME!!!! It makes the quad sit a little bit higher than normal but they still work like a dream so anyone wanting to know what kind of shocks to get I would personally highly suggest the TRX 450s

CJM
04-25-2010, 09:40 PM
I would tend to agree after I went on the single most rocky trail ever in PA on saturday. Everyone else had stock shocks and I felt like the 450R's absorbed the bumps like a champ!

fromtheside88
04-26-2010, 05:07 PM
Yeah like i said it does make it sit a bit higher than normal but yea they are amazing especially when it comes to trails that have downed trees about every five feet lol

Foxhound013
04-26-2010, 05:18 PM
I heard they were stiffer thats why i have been shying away from them, I might have some dual rate TCS shocks anyway. (Any opinions on these) But the only thing that still bothers me is how does sitting higher cause it to handle big hills. Also how heavy are you guys, i'm only 150 probably 165 pounds with all gear (and mud lol).

fromtheside88
04-26-2010, 05:23 PM
To be completely honest I wouldn't be able to tell you about any other shocks besides the stocks and the 450r. And as far as the quad sitting higher it doesn't sit but maybe a coupla inches higher so not really enough to take anything away from ya. I also have my shocks very soft (i guess that is the way you would put) so just stay on the front and you would be alirhgt lol hope that helped

leakyvoodoo
04-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Just put them on and i will agree they are very stiff. I did see there seems to be ajuster on the top of the shock there the spring is. Is the right

CJM
04-26-2010, 10:01 PM
Have mine on for last 3 rides and I adjusted all settings to inbetween hard and soft.

They are perfectly fine for me at least, but I do weigh about 190lbs tho.

fromtheside88
04-27-2010, 10:04 AM
yeah u can adjust all day long I still don't have mine where i want them exactly i usually make my adjustments as i'm riding

CJM
04-27-2010, 12:20 PM
They are good shocks, can always send them to be revalved for your weight and style.

dc01
04-27-2010, 07:17 PM
I have a set thats been revalved and resprung by Jet and they work great.

ish416
04-27-2010, 09:18 PM
I would suggest the KFX450 or YFZ450 shocks over the 450R shocks.

I had a set of 2006 Honda 450R front shocks on my EX and they were much better than the stockers but I could not get them to feel right. They were either to stiff or to springy. I ended up going with a set of KFX450 shocks and they are a much better ride than the Honda 450 shocks.

With some adjusting, I would say that the KFX450 shocks are on the same level as an EX with Stage 3 Elkas on stock A-arms. Again, that is with them being adjusted properly.

The only issue with the KFX450 shocks is how much material you need to remove for them to fit the top shock mounts.

Not to hijack this thread, but I see that some of you guys are from Indiana. Besides Haspin Acres in Laurel and the Badlands in Attica, where do you guys ride at?

gktj
04-28-2010, 07:02 AM
I'm looking at upgrading to 450 shocks. Question is... Is it worth it if I cant get them revalved to fit me right away? Im about 210lbs and cant spend hundreds more to get them reworked. Will they feel like an upgrade just the way they are? Do all years work?

fromtheside88
04-28-2010, 04:27 PM
to answer the first guys question try out waveland man that place is sweet it is right outside of rockville indiana if you know where that is lemme know if you wanna go some time i love goin there lots of trails.

and for the second question i haven't had mine reworked yet i would like to but like you said i don't really have the money for it. to be hones i weight about the same as you do and the shocks are still awesome in my eyes

CJM
04-28-2010, 05:18 PM
I think if you weigh more the stock 450R shocks work better. Weigh less and they really dont help to much.

I rode a stock EX for about 20 hours this year, then I fixed mine (got 450R's) and it was great (im about 190lbs), friend put them on his stock I had previously rode and said same thing-hes about 275.

superelmer
04-28-2010, 07:03 PM
i'm a nimble 210 and i think the 450r fronts feel 10x better than stock. no bottoming like the stockers did, and much better thru whoop sections. not any different to me on the small stuff. i have the spring preload all the way off, soft as can be, and also light settings for comp and rebound. i ride mostly trails and desert, no mx stuff. 2 rides on em since i did the switch, and i'm gonna burn the old shocks in a ceremony! :)

this is a jump we hit frequently, and it used to be a bit of a rough landing sometimes. not anymore!