PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Cable

fromtheside88
04-25-2010, 09:13 PM
I have been riding for a couple of years now, and the only clutch cables I have ever used have been the Motion Pro clutch cables because it seems to be the only kind I can get around where I live. The problem I keep having though is that they all go to crap after about a month or two. They are always either just getting burnt or like more recently the cable just seems to wear itself out. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good brand of clutch cable?

CJM
04-25-2010, 09:42 PM
If they are getting burnt then they are to close to the header and you need to adjust the stupid little guide a bit.

I have the motion pro terminator cable and it has an extra little sleeve on it where the headers are.

Thumpin440ex
04-25-2010, 10:00 PM
I would go back to a stock cable. Mine is original and works just fine. If they are getting burnt you need to stick a guard on it.. Check out the bay for a stocker, that is if your still using a thumb throttle

John

fromtheside88
04-26-2010, 05:05 PM
LOL trust me i have moved that cable every which way lol i think i might just have to rig something up to make it go away from the damn engine lol the only reason i was really asking was because everyone with a 400 that i know never has a prob and their stuff is in the so position as mind i appreciate tho guys thanks for the info

Rkangel7
04-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Mine's still original and going strong. Although, I've heard of guys getting a 250x/300ex clutch cable. They are longer and allow you to route the cable along the frame and away from heat rather than between the headers.

Thumpin440ex
04-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Hmmm, mine is not touching my header at all, has about half inch or so clearance.. Never any issues..

John

Pipeless416
04-26-2010, 08:24 PM
do yourself a favor and order an OEM 250x clutch cable and route it down the frame.

guenther
04-26-2010, 08:30 PM
I just put a 250X cable and MSR AOF lever and perch on this past weekend and it's a whole new ballgame. It is soooo much easier than stock and my old cable wasn't that bad at all. Just a very slight resistance. The 250X cable is longer and you can run it down the side of the frame away from the heat. I put liquid wrench down in the old cable until it came out the other end and it's as smooth as butter now too. I'm going to keep it as a back up just in case something happens to the new cable. The Honda part number for the 250X cable is 22870-HCO-670. I get a discount at my local Honda dealer so it was about $22. Hope that helps.

fromtheside88
04-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Well from what i'm hearing it sounds like i am going to go with a 250 or 300x thanks guys appreciate it. And btw does n e one live n indiana near terre haute or n e where close lookin for some new ridin buddies

Pipeless416
04-26-2010, 08:46 PM
make sure you get a 250x cable. a 300ex cable will work, but you need to relocate the lower bracket. ps- i live half an hour east of you 9 months out of the year, but my quad isn't down here haha.