PDA

View Full Version : Won't fire with starter but it will fire so easy pushing

55stone
04-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Hey guys I can't get the 400 to fire with the starter but I can push it and it will fire like so easy even in grass or anything but it won't fire with the starter.. It runs great and everything so I'm kinda at a lose.. Starter cranks over fine and at normal speed so don't think it's the starter what other options? Stator?? Or what
Thanks in advance guys

55stone
04-25-2010, 08:16 PM
No thoughts anyone???

Thumpin440ex
04-25-2010, 08:21 PM
You sure the starter isn't dragging or weak. A engine that doesn't crank hard enough won't fire... How strong is the batt?

John

gt400ex
04-26-2010, 01:18 AM
I would do like thumpin said and double check your battery. If is getting weak all the power will be getting used by the starter and not enough getting to the ignition to fire.

hocman123
04-26-2010, 03:38 PM
after u check the battery and it is good then it will most likely be a faulty starter clutch or damaged starter gears.

VTredneckgames
04-27-2010, 10:34 AM
had a very similar problem on a lakota. wouldnt start with the starter, but would if you pushed it. Battery was fine, the starter would turn the motor fast enough, it just wouldnt fire.

Ours finally got to where it wouldnt run regardless. Pickup coil went bad in it. Might put that on your list of things to check.

f4iracer
04-29-2010, 07:23 AM
i know this sounds way out there but you may need to have your valves reshimmed.

I just had my ltr in the shop because it wouldn't start unless i had the throttle pinned and did about 5 cranks on the starter button, however if i bump started it, it would fire right up. I took it in and they re shimmed my valves, now it starts up fine with the starter.

fasterblaster09
05-02-2010, 07:06 PM
does it sound like it is just spinning and not turning over? I had a couple starter clutchs go bad, just a thought

coalrat
05-02-2010, 07:33 PM
An engine turns over a a faster rate when pull started or pushed.

i'm guessing a lack of compression also, which may be the valves tight

honda400ex2003
05-02-2010, 10:45 PM
my thoughts exactly on the low compression. that would be my first order of business to look at. check out the valves, do a comp test and see where it is. should be around 120 psi. anything much less than that would be requiring rings which could be your case if everything else is in good working condition. including the coil, battery, starter, magneto by the flywheel, all fuses are good, good grounds on everything and the like. it would be somthing to look into though along with a leak down test. steve