PDA

View Full Version : Good starter quad for the little one.

rigger
04-25-2010, 07:22 PM
I know absolutely nothing about little quads so a little point in the right direction would be great.

I am going to start keeping and eye out for something for my little girl to start to learn how to ride.

She is only 4 1/2 right now and she is not a big kid at all. So I was thinking if I could start looking for something smaller, pick it up and fix it up for her over the summer, she might have somthing to ride in the fall that she could handle.

I grew up with bikes and have only played with ATV's over the past few years so I really do not know what would be a decent smaller machine for her.

When it comes to games like soccer, she is not all that into it. But you mention something about a bike or ATV, she is right on it. She can just about start my wife's 400EX and she almost has it figured out with what she has to do to make it go. I think she is pretty smart for her age when it comes to stuff like that.

I would prefer something that I can easily get parts for. Rebuild it, get plastics and seat covers for and or modify as she gets better with it.

I have heard that some of the cheaper ones are hard to get parts for.

What are some good used machines to keep and eye out for. This will have to be a real budget built machine since extra hobby money is hard to come by right now.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

nastynotchback1
04-25-2010, 08:19 PM
i am up in the greenwood area about 3 hrs from ya nad i have a 99 e-ton 50 i just got done with.take 500.00 for it.

EthansDad
04-26-2010, 07:24 AM
Eton's are a great starter quad, its what I started my kid on a 3. If your kids very tiny, you might have to rig up some foot peg risers and invest in some short grab brake levers to round out the starter package.

Also, if this eton 50 is set up as a race quad, it might be a bit tricky for a first timer to run. what I like about the etons is you can tame the clutch down a lot, making it very predictable to ride for someone getting started.

for my 3 yr old girl, I found a dinli 50. its smaller than the etons, but frankly not as good of a quad. no suspension, shorter, etc. if the eton fits, that would be my first choice.

here is my little girl giving the 50cc quad a go for the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxft42pVICM

-EA

nastynotchback1
04-26-2010, 09:12 AM
This one is stock but risers on the pegs might be something you have to do.

rigger
04-26-2010, 07:17 PM
Right this second I don't really have the spendable funds to get something for her. What I want to do for now is a little info gathering on the different machines and what all of your opinions are on them since you are the ones who have gotten them.

I am hoping to run across a non running machine sometime over the summer that I can pick up really cheap. Then strip it down and fixer up really nice. Give me a fun little project to do. Heck, my little girl trys to help me fix stuff now so maybe I could let her try to help me with it. Give us a little something to do together.

If you do not sell yours over the next couple of months, let me know and if I have not found something to fix up and if I can afford it, then maybe we can get together on yours.

If anyone else has thoughts on machines, please chime in and let me know.

Thanks.

EthansDad
04-26-2010, 07:25 PM
I actually have my son's eton, just sitting around collecting dust. not sure what year it is, but it runs and is in fair shape. the rear plastics broke, so I Frankensteined some DRR plastics on the rear (looks kinda cool,but not super sharp). Also, the bike smokes a fair bit, so I'm guessing its due for a ring job or top end. all in all, its between good-fair shape, but a running eton 50 it is and those motors are good!

I'd let it go for $300 just to get it out of my garage.

-EA

rigger
04-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the quads from both of you but like I said before, at the moment I am doing a little more looking around to learn the little machines. Information is more of what I am looking for at the moment. If you guys were a little closer then I might would try and do something but for now research is the name of the game.

Thanks