PDA

View Full Version : please help with adjustments

NJ08400ex
04-25-2010, 07:07 PM
does anyone have a link that outlines how to set up a stock engine?

i.e. where to set the screws, where the screws are, which to mess with, etc..

I have messed with idle screw, but not sure if i have it in the right place, and i dont know how i would know if it was in the right place.

My engine wont run at all choked, I have to keep on the throttle for it to run, as soon as i let off the throttle it dies when choked.

I just basically need help adjusting everything for optimum performance/engine life

thanks!

storms400ex
04-25-2010, 08:13 PM
is your engine stock or do you have add-ons or more done to it? everyone on here needs to know, so we can help you out

NJ08400ex
04-25-2010, 08:21 PM
completely stock

bherriman
04-25-2010, 08:39 PM
Its completely stock and it wont run when choked? No offense here but you arent trying to run the choke with the bike warmed up right? The only screw you messed with was the idle adjustment? Only thing I can think of is maybe you turned the idle down to far but thats just a guess.

NJ08400ex
04-25-2010, 08:44 PM
i try choking it when starting up. it wont run unless im on the gas. I adjusted the idle screw up, it idles faster than it did when i picked it up. So you're saying i should turn it up even more?

its completely stock

clemsonteg
04-25-2010, 09:05 PM
These things are cold blooded, you can try a larger pilot jet. Stock is 38, I have a 42 in mine and will probably put a 40 or 42 in my wifes bone stock 400ex just because I have to gas it a little with the choke on for about 30 seconds of running and then maybe I can turn off the choke and will idle but until its completely warm it will still shut off randomly and then I hit the button to fire it back up. On mine I don't even have to choke it, usually just pump the throttle twice and hit the button and she starts purring :D

bherriman
04-25-2010, 09:17 PM
No I wouldnt turn it up more I would put it closer to stock. And yes these are cold blooded machines but it should still start and run when the choke is on without holding the throttle open. I have a 40 pilot and I dont use the choke either. Just give the throttle a quick hit when cranking and it fires right up and idles.

NJ08400ex
04-26-2010, 09:17 AM
I should be clear, when i do not use the choke, she starts right up, sometimes after a few tries if its been sitting overnight or more. But when i use the choke, it will not stay running without throttle.

PaRedneckRiders
04-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Well, R u in like a place that has a warmer climate
If so u may not have to use the choke and if it runs and runs good without using the choke i wouldnt worry about it
Just run it as long as everything checks out ok

slightlybent47
04-26-2010, 11:18 AM
My ex has always started with just a bump of the starter, no mater what the temp is. Even with all the mods I have on it, but if it’s below 40* then it still starts but it takes a minuet to warm up. I never use the choke, in fact it has never had the choke on it, that was one of the first mods I did was to take the choke off. And even with all the mods all I’ve ever done to it is change the main jet. I’ve never had to adjust the pilot jet or the air mix screw at all. Check the fuel screen that is in the fuel intake tube that goes into the carb and see if it’s clogged up.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2z7gcuw.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/noznyg.jpg