PDA

View Full Version : Pinging?!?

Yurshia
04-25-2010, 07:01 PM
OK, 2 weeks ago i installed my new edelbrock carb. I rode it for about an hour to get the carb close to what i think is tuned in. Later that weekend i went on 4 hour ride with some buddys, stopping every 45min or so just to bs. About 3-1/2 hours into the ride i noticed the "pinging" of my quad got considerable louder. Ever sense i put my hotcam in it has "pinged" decently loud, but never NEAR close to what it does now. its loud enough now that you cant talk over it and can bearly shout over it.

Anyways on my trip home from the weekend ride, even with my quad pinging the way it is i chose to race up about a 1/4 a mile step hill, going full tilt. ( yes i know im a really *DONKEY*) 1/2 the way up the hill my quad stumbled hard, i powered thru and smashed it into 5th. which made it stumble way worse. I went back down to 3rd gear and finished the hill. I did not stumble at all in lower gears the rest of the way home. i did get on it again hard right before i got to my garage and it stumbled again in 4th about 3/4 throttle.

This weekened i tore it down and redid the valve lash. that didnt help the extreamly loud pinging at all. I put new 110 octaine gas on top of my 93 oct i had in it ( about a 50/50 ratio ). Also slightly richened the air/fuel on the carb. the last 2 things were long shots but i was hoping this was an easy fix.

Now questions are
1: The extreamly loud pinging, would that be a bad cam chain tenstioner? (i just put a new cam chain on about 3 months ago, should of did both)
2: Do you think the stumble at the end of my trip and the loud pinging are related?

Any help at all would be very much appriciated. Its spring time and i want to rip it up!

hjsmith00843
04-25-2010, 09:01 PM
I would replace the timing chain, tensioner and guides. That should help. Do you have any damaged rockers?

hjsmith00843
04-25-2010, 09:01 PM
I would pull the head and make sure everything is ok. It could be a wrist pin. Doubtful but it could.

Yurshia
04-26-2010, 02:33 PM
Will open it up this weekend and see what i can find. Thanks a ton for the advice.