PDA

View Full Version : MX LTR450 to MX Honda 450r, few questions especially on Nerfs

jjv101
04-25-2010, 02:07 PM
Hey everyone!

Quick run down on my situation/thinking. I use to have a all stock 04 honda 450r. Went to a 06 LTR 450 built for mx (motor work and suspension)...I am thinking of going back to a 450r just one that is MX built. Reason being:
-The FI is nice, but im not sure if i want to have to deal with it incase anything goes wrong
-Just less clutter,electronics and etc. and to me and easier for I and my father to work on.
-However the elec. start is nice, but alot of racebikes are kickers anyway.

Anyone agree w/ my thinking or am I just crazy?

My other question is..i really like the Pro Aluminum Nerfs (heel netting also) that are on my ltr now...does anyone have these on their 450r? are they the roughtly the same size? These really help me to corner well, and i can really get my weight on the one side or the other. But it seems to me all the honda nerfs are really short/smaller

krt400ex
04-25-2010, 04:54 PM
how long have you had the ltr? i havent heard of too many problems with the FI, but then i have been out of the scene for a year and just getting back into it. i'd think that if you have been riding it for a couple years and havent had problems then you wont have them.

as for nerfs on the 450r, the pro armor nerfs are pretty large. they're nice. although i heard a while back that they were having problems with the welds cracking or something. not sure if they ironed that out yet. friend of mine has ac nerfs on his and they are pretty big. i like them. i havent personally used any other nerfs than the ktm race nerfs on my machine (they are amazing. full width of the quad and the heel guards extend six inches off the side of the pegs. they are netted also). so i cant really speak from personal experience

krt400ex
04-25-2010, 04:57 PM
as a side note, the reason you think the nerfs are so large on the ltr is because it comes stock at 49 inches. so the nerf manufacturers can build them larger without making them wider than the quad. same reason why the nerfs on my ktm are so large. bike sits at 47 inches. (48 in the back). the other production machines are all around 46 inches and so the nerfs cant be made too large cuz they cant stick out past the tires. i dont know if there is anyone making nerfs for motocross that are wider for a 50 in. race bike. i guess call around and find out.

Stiles86
04-25-2010, 04:59 PM
ive had both, i like the feel of my ltr but i would trade back for my honda in a heartbeat... havnt had any issues with the fi but ive been through 2 trannys and i lost a cam chain yeasterday...i just had better luck with 450r just my opinion

jjv101
04-25-2010, 05:46 PM
krt- ive had the ltr a few weeks. I get your point on the nerfs though and its a very good point. I like how large the Pro Alum's are on the LTR, they just make me feel more comfy and are roomy which i like so i can really transfer the weight.

Stiles86- so far I like the feel of the LTR also, but i cant really compare the LTR i have now to the 450r i use to have. I take it you have a 07 or newer LTR? i have the 06 and from what i told thats the best year with minimal problems if any. sorry to hear about the cam chain, that would really aggervate me!

The mods on my LTR are as followed:
Port and Polish, 13.1 CP pistion with fresh valves and springs, full yosh exhaust, fox evol fronts (stock a arms) fox podium rear (stock swinger), lonestar axle,, beadlocks, flexx bars, and some other things!

If i go honda it will look something along these lines:
-Port and Polish, Cam (HC stage 1 or 2, or crf cam), 12.1 or 13.1 piston, carb, sparks or dasa exhaust, obviously a arms, swinger, and axle, with PEP or fox shocks and teh other goodies!

Stiles86
04-25-2010, 09:15 PM
mine is an 08,, i really wish suzuki would fix there tranny issues cause i would never switch companys but i just picked up a 04 trx frame...i think the hondas have the most power potential too if you already have the ltr and its paid for i would just hang on to it... if you want to get rid of those wires and symplify it call atp up they sell a carb kit and yosh has a kicker for it i want to build a second bike and im gonna build a honda for relilibility reasons.... check out bcs online they sell nerfs for trx/ltr that are very nice and under 200 bucks personally i like bling star wide peg nerfs and the rath nerfs are awsome on both bikes but are very expensive

jjv101
04-25-2010, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Stiles86
mine is an 08,, i really wish suzuki would fix there tranny issues cause i would never switch companys but i just picked up a 04 trx frame...i think the hondas have the most power potential too if you already have the ltr and its paid for i would just hang on to it... if you want to get rid of those wires and symplify it call atp up they sell a carb kit and yosh has a kicker for it i want to build a second bike and im gonna build a honda for relilibility reasons.... check out bcs online they sell nerfs for trx/ltr that are very nice and under 200 bucks personally i like bling star wide peg nerfs and the rath nerfs are awsome on both bikes but are very expensive

yeh those tranny problems would piss me off!

I have heard that about hondas though being full of power potential, they have alot of both low end and top end power potential dont they? ( think i remember reading they were lower end than the LTR's?) the Raths arent bad, i really like the pro Alum. on my ltr, the pegs are wide and build in...cost $400 new though!!

those carb kits are pretty expensive though arent they? id rather just get a built honda and rip on that then dump money into a carb conversion and all that hah

anyway, anyone agree that its a logical idea to switch to a MX honda? i mean they are reliable and seem to be fairly fast with some work!

krt400ex
04-26-2010, 04:41 AM
i've seen the 450R's pulling upwards of 65+ hp at the wheels. so hp abounds in those engines, though i also think that anything built properly can be just as fast. i'm partial to honda myself because i prefer the design of the single overhead cam. i think its more reliable. jmo. which is also another reason why i went with the ktm. its also a single overhead cam and the engines are said to be bullet proof

jjv101
04-26-2010, 06:18 PM
yeh ive heard of 450r's stock bore (as in 450cc) putting down anywhere between 56hp and 65hp! i dont care too much about top end. i like the mid and low end as thats the type of person i am.

this is gonna be a weird question, but anyone with a 450r want to do some measurements for me?

id like to know how much space (in inches) there is from the back of the front fender to the rear fender.

and also from where the nerfs hook in towards the front of the bike to where they hook in/touch the rear fenders!

thanks

jjv101
05-04-2010, 02:07 PM
any other inputs before i make a dicision? lol the LTR is up for sale/trade

just not sure what to do...like a fat kid in a candy store...so many options, choices and preferences

05-04-2010, 03:20 PM
yeah thats the thing is LTR stock are so wide that aftermarket nerfs are tailered to fit. As for the TRX some MX some XC some leave it stock and ride it the way it is and like nerfs. Usually LTR's are for MX however I have seen them in XC. I think the Raths are pretty big arent they?

madskrillz2
05-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Honestly I wouldn't do it but that is my opinion. I feel like a built LTR is the best MX setup you can get but it all comes down to what you're comfortable with

John Noftsinger
05-04-2010, 04:04 PM
You know its funny that people say the honda has the most power i just dont believe that at all (looking at wimmer pass byrd on the straights) ,there motor seem to have very bad crank problems would rather deal with tranny gears than a crank IMO and what motor has won everything these pass years Suzuki motocross,quad/bike,gnnc baja 500,etc i think going to honda for the old reliable BS is insane there not as reliable as they were years ago .plus you said you like the feel of the suzuki well the more comfortable you are on a quad the faster IMO but you will probably get the honda anyway.

jjv101
05-04-2010, 06:30 PM
you all have some good points and i think you for the inputs

flewby- yeh i believe raths are pretty big, i think i found a picture of a 450r with some pro alum. on it, they look nice. I ride MX i dont do XC or anything, which is why im looking at built/MX quads!

Madskillz- yeh im not sure, i use to have a stock 04 450r and i was comfortable on that, granted it didnt have nerfs or anything. so that might be a factor also, plus its a ltr built for mx vs stock so no comparison ya know.

-Josh- from what i understand, hondas have alot of low end grunt depending how they are built. Yes wimmer passes byrd...but byrd, goodman, upperman all on hondas do pull holeshots alot. obviously all these pro bikes are on the same caliber, you might as well factor in rider skill...maybe wimmer is just faster and better on his LTR. im sure if he was on a honda hed be just as good!

i also understand the 04-05's had crank bearings, which were easily fixed if you rebuilt the engine. 06+ had front end issues which were fixed if you did suspension. and as you said the LTRs have their problems too!...im just not sure what direction to go. MX ltr, MX 450r (wouldnt mind trying since i had a stock 450r, or if i get enough money a KTM 450sx with suspension and other goodies)

John Noftsinger
05-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Tranny problem on Ltr can be fixed with aftermaket gears .I dont know what mag did dynos on all the quads but the suzuki was by far the best on the dyno followed by the ktm the ktm and suzuki put out the same peak hp but the suzuki held the power alot longer,every other quad didn,t come close to the ktm /ltr 450.Oh and wimmer was on honda before the suzuki and since then hes faster on the suzuki .he even said it in interview.

jjv101
05-05-2010, 10:57 AM
interesting...im just planning on running locals so a ktm, LTR or 450r would def. do.

just not totally sure which one i want to stick with yet haha

John Noftsinger
05-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Dont you already have suzuki?if you do Id stick with it why waste abunch of money trying to get honda up to par or take chance on a used mx ready honda that might need alot of work.And still not ride as good as what you got.

300ex_#387
05-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by John Noftsinger
Oh and wimmer was on honda before the suzuki and since then hes faster on the suzuki .he even said it in interview.

If power wheels paid me I would say im faster on one of those than my honda. $$$$$$$$$$$$$

05-05-2010, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by 300ex_#387
If power wheels paid me I would say im faster on one of those than my honda. $$$$$$$$$$$$$

This is true lol. If I wasnt on my TRX though I would definately be on a LTR. I love the way it looks and handles stock beign 49" and what not setup for MX. I went with the TRX though cause I feel more comortable and I love my Honda's lol

jjv101
05-06-2010, 02:49 PM
good point 300ex.

yes i have a LTR...well not for long anymore, guys coming to look at it/pick it up this weekend. im not loyal to any brand...but hondas to perform just as well as the LTR's

so im giving a built honda a try this time..theres no need to be bashing hondas or other brands