PDA

View Full Version : How expensive to run the nats?

MX MaNiAc 06
04-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Not like im going to, im far too broke. But ive always wondered how much a racer puts into a season roughly.

There has to be so many expenses..

-Gas driving to the races
-Track fees
-Oil, race gas, air filters
-Hotel fees
-Maintaining the bike
-Broken parts
-Food
-Drinks

hjsmith00843
04-25-2010, 02:08 PM
I would guess at least $10 for the season. J/K I have no clue but it would be intresting to know. Sure some teams have super large budgets and others have very low budgets.

jerkyboy
04-25-2010, 02:27 PM
The coust of going to the nationals is only part of it. The other being the money your not making while you traveling to the races.

hjsmith00843
04-25-2010, 02:31 PM
dont forget about all of the stuff you would have to buy your wife to keep her happy enough to let you go without a fuss.

859davidt
04-25-2010, 02:59 PM
My wife and I both race the nationals. Keeps her from fussing, lol.
We roughly average $650 not counting bikes, maint, etc.
That is mainly fuel, race fuel, grocery, gate, sign up, transponder, practice. And we don't usually get a hotel other than we did at Alabama and that was an additional $300 for 3 nights. And that doesn't include the $250 deposit for transponder that we don't get back until the weekend is over. Kinda makes me think why and the heck I am doing this. Hope that piece of wood has gold in it.lol

MX MaNiAc 06
04-25-2010, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by jerkyboy
The coust of going to the nationals is only part of it. The other being the money your not making while you traveling to the races.

That's true too. I'm sure the pros, pro-am and a lot of other racers ride and go to different tracks all week spending even more money to get ready for the next race! And it hurts my wallet to go to the track every other week! hahaha

Derrick Adams
04-25-2010, 06:52 PM
We approached it with a well thought out plan and things are moving along smoothly. The biggest thing we did was to consider how many local racers were interested in running and tryed to car-pool accordingly to save on costs.

Either way, we sleep at the track and have at least three quads and riders going to each race. We all bought our transponders ahead of time and eat alot of PB&J.

I estimate to spend roughly $4000 to run all the Nationals this year. That includes fuel, entry, race fuel, food, and maintainance on the bike (air filters, oil, 1 set of tires and 1 fresh top-end). Could be more if something breaks.

Planning waay ahead of time is crucial. We started preparing last fall. Buying parts, trailer, stocking trailer with beds, tools, etc.

sunco
04-25-2010, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by hjsmith00843
dont forget about all of the stuff you would have to buy your wife to keep her happy enough to let you go without a fuss.

Whenever we leave to ride the women r shopping :( It always cost u twice as much :chinese: nationals or other

Moto49X
04-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Derrick Adams

I estimate to spend roughly $4000 to run all the Nationals this year. That includes fuel, entry, race fuel, food, and maintainance on the bike (air filters, oil, 1 set of tires and 1 fresh top-end). Could be more if something breaks.

Not happenin.

I think I use to spend close to a grand per round.

jesseweaver
04-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
And it hurts my wallet to go to the track every other week! hahaha

haha yea heard that i can't even afford to run a local series!

JRP
04-25-2010, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Moto49X
Not happenin.

I think I use to spend close to a grand per round.

x2. Dually, pulling a 40ft toy hauler, 2 quads, food, broke parts, entry fees. Tons of money to say the least

fastredrider44
04-25-2010, 09:55 PM
The time off work is a biggie. For MX nationals, you're gone what, four days or more? If I totalled what I spend racing, I'd quit. I try not to think about it. Just pay my bills and whatever is left can be spent racing or whatever. lol

catch22blaster
04-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Well I'll tell you, Running a season in both Pro am classes to have a good race program to even try to compete against them guys you'll easily spend 20g without a doubt or more. I went for broke after last season an had horrible luck, crashes an blown motors, an only made 8 of the races an still almost spent almost that much. It's not cheap by no means. Unless you dnt have to work, Ride 24/7, Have 2-3 bikes, spare motors an a full time mechanic and alot of money to throw away to run with the big boys you might aswell not even try At the pro am pro level. Thats just were the sport is now an its the truth. And everybody can say what they want with what I just posted, but the people that really no what I'm talking about that race all of them would agree an no what im talking about. I no after last yr from the expeirence I had you would understand what I mean. Unfortunatly I'm taking the yr off trying to come back next yr but who knows.

SRH
04-25-2010, 10:31 PM
07 i raced 1 nat, 1 wpsa both within 3 hrs, and spent $500 each with gas food etc, this is is in a small pickup too...so double that with a trailer and stuff...plus distance, your looking on average 1,000 per round as was said, plus practice time , broken parts, youd be talking atleast 15k a year with minimal practice, with 2 quads probably close to 20k

honda250xrider
04-26-2010, 10:35 AM
The couple nationals i have attended it was roughly a $1,000 both times, i would say to compete in the whole series you would be looking at upwards of $15,000 considering rebuilds, broken parts, tires, vehicle maintenance etc.

To become anything in the atv world you must already be financially sound. Unfortunately our sport just doesn't have the sponsorship compared to other motor sports.

mx3mom
04-26-2010, 12:15 PM
We usually leave on Thursday, travel all day, leave back out on Sunday after the race and travel most of the night. We all have jobs to get back to. I work the morning shift on Thursday and take off Thurs. afternoon and all day Friday (sickdays), my husband works for himself, sometimes he can go and sometimes he can't. Casey works M-W of race week and is back to work on Monday following the race.

Expense wise, you are looking at at least $500.00 for fuel to get there and back, sometimes more depending on how far you go. We usually have a trailer to sleep in and I buy groceries before I leave home to cook for the weekend. I don't really count food because we have to eat no matter where we are.

You have a $40.00 gate fee on Thurs./ $25.00 practice fee on Fri/sign up fee depends on what class you run. Casey runs both Pro-Am classes, one is $85.00 and the other is $40.00

Like has been stated before, break downs can be your worst enemy. Two years in a row, we started with a DNF due to blown motors but that is part of racing. some people are lucky and never have issues.

Family support is something you definetly need if you are just starting out. My husband and I both have worked two - three jobs each just to keep getting to the races. We got lucky mid season last year and got some great support from Factory Polaris/Rath Racing Team. If you are serious about the sport, you have to be patient and hope your wallet or in this case the parents wallet can withstand the turmoil it takes until it finally pays off. Good luck racing!

honda400ex2003
04-26-2010, 12:39 PM
nothing to add but what a great read! thanks for telling your stories everyone. It takes some major devotion to run this stuff without a sponsorship or something. I applaud thee! steve

MX MaNiAc 06
04-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Yes thank you guys for your replies! As much as I would love to be involved in racing nationals or even a series i can't afford it right now with school and work.

As far as family support.. i have NONE. It was pulling teeth to get my dad to take me to the track growing up.

I raced one time last season.. didn't tell my parents where i was going. Came home from the race and they were sitting around a bon fire with some friends. I walked up to them and said "sorry but i lied to you, i raced today. Here's my plack, took first place."

atveric132
04-26-2010, 06:16 PM
its 10-12,000 to run a full season of nationals.....but you have to factor in what type of rig you have and all that....hoe many bikes etc......it vary's for every family or person

jjv101
04-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Yes thank you guys for your replies! As much as I would love to be involved in racing nationals or even a series i can't afford it right now with school and work.

As far as family support.. i have NONE. It was pulling teeth to get my dad to take me to the track growing up.

I raced one time last season.. didn't tell my parents where i was going. Came home from the race and they were sitting around a bon fire with some friends. I walked up to them and said "sorry but i lied to you, i raced today. Here's my plack, took first place."

Family support for me is a big thing. Now my parents never took me to a track or anything to practice in my younger days but they have been and always will be behind me in what i enjoy. I guess i got the racing bug a little late but its ok since i can pay for my own stuff and drive/pull a trailer.

I know when i did paintball YES PAINTBALL on a national level they were always there behind me..never really saw me play to much but when my dad saw me play i played amazing. my parents have yet to really see my ride but they are still behind me weather i suck or am good!

fastredrider44
04-26-2010, 08:15 PM
I ran a full season before either of my parents watched a race. My mom has been to somewhere around six or seven races. My dad, one and a half... :rolleyes:

Moto49X
04-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by catch22blaster
Well I'll tell you, Running a season in both Pro am classes to have a good race program to even try to compete against them guys you'll easily spend 20g without a doubt or more. I went for broke after last season an had horrible luck, crashes an blown motors, an only made 8 of the races an still almost spent almost that much. It's not cheap by no means. Unless you dnt have to work, Ride 24/7, Have 2-3 bikes, spare motors an a full time mechanic and alot of money to throw away to run with the big boys you might aswell not even try At the pro am pro level. Thats just were the sport is now an its the truth. And everybody can say what they want with what I just posted, but the people that really no what I'm talking about that race all of them would agree an no what im talking about. I no after last yr from the expeirence I had you would understand what I mean. Unfortunatly I'm taking the yr off trying to come back next yr but who knows.

^Listen to this guy here ^

He is spot on. To be anything in the ATV world you must first have money. Whether its a job that pays very well and dont always have to be there(yea right) or coming from a family with money. Or havin a hell of a sponsor who really supports you which is rare, very rare, in amateur ranks for ATV's.

Lasher
04-26-2010, 09:17 PM
While not the nationals, here is a typical cost to run NEATV.

$100 for seasonal NEATV membership

$15 gate fee (per person)
$35 Saturday practice fee
$40 Race Class fee (+$10 for sign up at track, $50 pro/proam)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
$80 Total Race Day Fees per racer.

One quad usually runs through 5 gallons of race fuel, that is another $75. Quad maintance fees prior to race (nothing broken) at least $40

Most tracks are about 1 tank full each way. So that can be about $150 round trip in gas.

Food we usually keep it light, but spend roughly $100 for the weekend eating. Not counting the decent meal on the way home.

So with my son and I both racing we are looking at least $500 to be safe. usually more with added expenses. And that is with a landscape trailer and sleeping in tents.

jesseweaver
04-26-2010, 09:50 PM

yea same here and it really sucks it makes it hard to compete when kids show up who were riding since they were 4 and have a track at their house and ride everyday and race every weekend and don't pull a dime out of their own pocket.

makes you wonder how much faster you could be.....

MX MaNiAc 06
04-27-2010, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
yea same here and it really sucks it makes it hard to compete when kids show up who were riding since they were 4 and have a track at their house and ride everyday and race every weekend and don't pull a dime out of their own pocket.

Very true. The only thing i hate about dads that back their kids is when u get the dads that yell at their kids when they don't get first or call them a b!tch if they dont jump a triple or something.

My dad was video taping me at a track one day and these kids were asking him if i raced and he told them no. They said why not hes pretty good? And he said yeah thats what im afraid of. I cant blame him for watching out for me but hopefully he comes to a race this year.

jjv101
04-27-2010, 09:35 AM

ive been on a quad since i saw about 8. didnt get into track riding or anything serious until last summer. I wonder that all the time.

A buddy of mine i grew up with who was also on quads since i was got into racing much sooner...not sure if he races any nationals but he races money class in the races around here and i belive takes top 3 pretty consistant. rides 3 times a week or more, but he knows people like you cant believe hah

mx8
04-27-2010, 11:30 AM
I ran the nationals in 1996 to 2001, plus all the local races. I look at it now and not much of anything has changed. You still get the same piece of wood, and a broken wallet. I see no future in atv racing at all ever. The high cost of parts and fees to just get in a gate, are killing everyone.

yellowzo3
04-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by mx8
I ran the nationals in 1996 to 2001, plus all the local races. I look at it now and not much of anything has changed. You still get the same piece of wood, and a broken wallet. I see no future in atv racing at all ever. The high cost of parts and fees to just get in a gate, are killing everyone.

Not to get too off topic here but I totally agree with you. Atv racing popularity was spreading like wildfire a few years ago but died abruptly. It's gotta be tough to convince companies and local businesses to sponsor you. I'm sure some parents don't see atv racing as a career for their kids so they may not invest in traveling to the races, etc... Those kids now have to foot 100% of the bill which makes it super hard to do nationals every year... and impossible if they can't drive yet. If you don't start racing when you're young you won't be able to compete with kids that have been riding 3+ times a week since they were 5 with full $$$ support from their parents. This is obvious when you look at who's moving up through the ranks today.

When guys like Gust can't even get a ride for this season it shows you what kind of position the sport is in.

Bikes are where its at right now. Their side of the sport just keeps growing and I'm sure even some of the Lites guys make enough to live a decent life.

Around here it was $40 a day just to practice on a track and practice was once a week. You'd have to travel SO much during the week just to get some practice time in. Then on the weekend you'd have to leave for the races. It would basically consume all of your time just to do the nationals. You'd have no time to make money to pay for the costs.

Like previously said in other posts, you need a wealthy family to support you 100% in all aspects or you need to be wealthy yourself. I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about if you look at the up and coming riders today. They wouldn't be pro or going pro if they didn't have that support.

I bet if all the guys posting in here had the kind of support some of these kids have you could all go pro or at least get to pro am. It's all about $$$

jesseweaver
04-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by yellowzo3

Bikes are where its at right now. Their side of the sport just keeps growing and I'm sure even some of the Lites guys make enough to live a decent life.

its all about getting that factory ride. all the lites factory riders are making a lot more that enough to live a decent life. and the privateers are making very very little just trying to get the factory backing

Jake250ex
04-27-2010, 11:51 PM
good lord! it aint cheap but some people overdo it. im 21 and dont make crap, so i squeeze the hell out of a penny. I load up in the bed of my 4 cyl truck and pack food and everything before i go. all i pay is gas and entry fees. otherwise, i couldnt do ANY

mxpimp2000
04-28-2010, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by mx8

not bashing you or anyone, but this is how i see it. atv racing growing or not. expensive or not. trophies or plaques. injuries or championships. its what i love to do its been in my family since my grandparents were kids. i'll always do it and it will always be in my blood. i know its tuff working a 40hr week and going to a national trying to be top in your class but some people are more fortunate than others. theres always someone riding harder spending more money thats why we have competition.

i agree with the broken wallets but after a fun weekend at the track i can say it was worth it because its what i love. some people see it different and have their opinions, everyone is different

reconmaster
04-28-2010, 05:06 AM
it costs me $700-800 us/cdn (2-3 tanks of gas in canada and 2-3 in the us) to go to unadilla (20hr drive closest national) that includes race fees the only thing that was extra was when the front wheelbearings and drive shaft went 2hrs from the house...
racings expensive weather it quads, bikes, trucks, cars, sleds or even wheelchairs (costs are gas, food, flights and hotels)

you can always make it work look at marc winchester hes not always able to train 24/7 but look at his results in the pro-am classes

TNT
04-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by mxpimp2000
not bashing you or anyone, but this is how i see it. atv racing growing or not. expensive or not. trophies or plaques. injuries or championships. its what i love to do its been in my family since my grandparents were kids. i'll always do it and it will always be in my blood. i know its tuff working a 40hr week and going to a national trying to be top in your class but some people are more fortunate than others. theres always someone riding harder spending more money thats why we have competition.

i agree with the broken wallets but after a fun weekend at the track i can say it was worth it because its what i love. some people see it different and have their opinions, everyone is different

We can love a sport without the burden of attending 11 nationals around the country that place financial hardship, pressure on families, jobs, school, relationships that are important too. Most that make it to the top are willing to sacrifice all these things.

There should only be one national and a qualifying system in place, problem with that is ATVPG would not profit by us keeping money in our wallet and staying local and regional, instead most that want to race beyond the local level make the sacrifices.

So now since there is really no structure with several so called “national” series spread out across the country (IPT, WORCs, AMA, NEATV, ETC, and starving pro's going where the $ is), there is no real “national title” per say, just a lot of racers and families willing to attend in their regions.

If a big agency like AMA or as WPSA tried to do, would step in and try and put some synergy to the madness I think then you would find that if this sport were structured correctly we would not have to spend an arm and a leg to qualify for a true national title, sacrificing time with families, school, jobs, putting lots of $ in the petro industry not quad, to do something we “love” more would be able to attend, more would be able to purchase quads, more numbers less cost(like bikes).

Why AMA does not see the need to grow the sport from the grass roots is stupid, altho I give them credit for launching the North/South series within their series this season and growing MX more west like Montana good too which is recognizing the problem and a step in the right direction.

WPSA had the right vision but not the $. :(

quad59
04-29-2010, 05:14 AM
I would not say that the bikes are any cheaper due to the way the nationals are structured for them. Talk to any bike parent and see what qualifying and running a national costs, its big bucks just like ours. Look at the mini O's its a whole week long. It's racing, it's expesive, always has been always will be. It's not for everybody and if you have to mortgage your house and rack up credit cards so Jr. can race your probably in the wrong sport.

jesseweaver
04-29-2010, 09:01 AM
but look at the bikes, you can have pretty much 2 race bikes for 10-15 grand depending how nice they are. and most bikes race a local series then just go to lorettas so they only have to travel like once a year, other than that its just driving 2 hours to a local race.

quad59
04-29-2010, 09:06 AM
You can not just show up to any bike national you have to qualify in fyi. Also the talent pool in bikes goes way deeper than on quads so you might not make it to lorettas,ponca,red bud,or the mini O's on your first qualifier. The bikes these kids are running to win nats are not stock and they practice way more running their maintenance costs up. It might be cheaper but if it is not much. On a local level it is obviously way cheaper.

yellowzo3
04-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by quad59
You can not just show up to any bike national you have to qualify in fyi. Also the talent pool in bikes goes way deeper than on quads so you might not make it to lorettas,ponca,red bud,or the mini O's on your first qualifier. The bikes these kids are running to win nats are not stock and they practice way more running their maintenance costs up. It might be cheaper but if it is not much. On a local level it is obviously way cheaper.

Yeah but the quads at nationals aren't stock either and parts are just as expensive.

I'm also sure that some bike series are making attempts to stuff all racing into Saturday for certain classes so families can travel back home on Sunday and go about their lives come Monday. That's gotta help a ton for their sport and I'm sure it allows a lot more families to make it to races.

jesseweaver
04-29-2010, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by quad59

yea true but im talking traveling costs. a lot of bike guys travel far just one time a year (to go to lorettas) and yea i know you gotta qualify for lorettas and stuff but most kids who are racing really competitively can pretty easily. i remember like 2 years ago when justin barcia was cleaning house at lorettas, thats about all you need to do on a bike to get recognized. the guys winning pro races now.

fastredrider44
04-29-2010, 02:26 PM
i remember like 2 years ago when justin barcia was cleaning house at lorettas, thats about all you need to do on a bike to get recognized. the guys winning pro races now.

Easier said than done. He was recognized for talent. Not wins.:p

300racer
04-29-2010, 06:41 PM
my friend ran a whole season of gncc's 2 years ago and with parts and everything i think he said he spent over $14,000 to run mid pack in b class. i love to race but i like to stay closer to home and spend 1000 a year at 9 or 10 local race's. i'm still having fun and spending alot less money.