PDA

View Full Version : DRR 50 Top Shock Mount Broke Off!! Need a shock

sparrino
04-25-2010, 10:59 AM
Anybody ever see this before? My son only weighs 50 pounds and is not a very agressive rider. Thank goodness he realized that his bike was feeling weird, otherwise the shock would have come through seat ant hurt him> Now i need a shock, anybody got one for sale??

jerkyboy
04-25-2010, 02:09 PM
We had one that was ready to break but I cought it before that happened.

STRAUBMAN
04-25-2010, 07:17 PM
look under classified mini atv parts they have all three for 65 shipped, look new

EthansDad
04-25-2010, 07:25 PM
that is a good price for all three nearly new. I have some take offs rears, but man after about 2 month of riding, I don't think I'd feel right selling/giving those away. they are very oil leaky, and likely bad.

I think a new oem rear is 70-80$

Also, on a 50 lb rider, keep in mind if he/she is jumping, the quad weights 220lbs+. I'd run the shocks (stock) on full firm preload, even for a light weight kid (if they are jumping) and might be time to think about getting a frame support kit. if you think a broke shock is bad, wait until the frame cracks and/or that rear shock mount just lets loose. that will take more than $60 to fix. my kid did that to a frame on little jumps when he was about 50lbs.

-EA

mydirtkids
04-29-2010, 04:55 PM
I agree with the gusset kit and used factory shocks... toss the shocks..

Stay away from used (or new) factory shocks if you can.. they are not the finest pieces of equipment on the planet.. My son bounced off the bike way too much due to poor suspension. (not cool to watch). You do not even have to be riding too hard,. SAFETY ISSUE!

The gusset kit is terrific, but.. our son still managed to break the frame in two places anyway.

Found out that the gusset kits are great for most known breakpoints. Just watch for signs of fatigue after you weld.

Our frame broke just above the rear gusset for the swing arm (with MBR gusset kit). We think the heat from welding fatigued the area of frame above the weld (where it broke in half on both sides :eek2: ).

To correct the problem, we welded a longer support on the back of frame so if it cracks again it will still stay attached!

fmcnany413
04-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Almost the same thing happened to my kid's apex. But it was the part that the shock mounts to on the frame under the seat. It broke off, my kid was in first, and he kept pouring the 'Coal' to it to get the win. It finally went through the plastic and was about to come through the seat. The tires were rubbing on the plastic when the chain came off. He was P.O.'ed

Coley'sdad#8
04-30-2010, 05:29 AM
if you are not properly trained and knowlegable on welding processes you can do more harm than good. if you weld too hot you will undercut the surrounding metal creating new breaking points next to your welds, you can tell this by seeing if your weld broke or if it broke next to your weld. also remember that a weld will draw (get shorter) when it cools. That can be kinda handy if you use that knowlege to work with frame warpages, swingarm mis-alignment ect. (i.e. swinger trailing to the right, weld in your left side gussets first ) allow to air cool not water hose if allowable.

mydirtkids
04-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Ours broke next to the weld. The guy who welded it really is remarkable. Builds custom bikes for big $$. Just one of those things. He just got little too hot in that area, once one side was fatigued, the horrible sideways landing broke thru, and not enough strength for the other side to handle the load.:D

Coley'sdad#8
04-30-2010, 12:19 PM
mydirtkids, brother I am not downing anybody's welds and it is even more tricky on this thin wall tube that is not of the highest grade steel on the planet:D I have been welding everything for 25 years and been certified for about 17 years and it still happens, i find myself not wanting to dismantle the bike to get a good access to the weld area so I end up welding in some different positions. Some of which ain't so perty but spray paint helps:eek:

mydirtkids
04-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Made in China:D or somewhere out there!