PDA

View Full Version : question about neck protection

sykoz
04-25-2010, 07:28 AM
I was about to buy a Astars bionic neck brace ( 300$ ) and hm my friend bought the cheaps one in foam , they are like 40$ i think. And it seems to work just fine. I was wondering whats the big difference between those 2 types of protection ? I dont mind spending some money for this but i just would like to know if its worth it. Thanks.

97blaster200
04-25-2010, 08:11 AM
you get what you pay for :D

KXRida
04-25-2010, 08:14 AM
a neck brace is exactly what the name says, a brace. In the event of a crash a neck brace is going to limit the amount of neck hyperextention/hyperflexion, lateral movement, and axial loading. My task for you is to go get your buddy's foam neck donut and squeeze it as hard as you can. Could probably crush it down pretty much in half couldn't you? Now factor in forces experienced during a crash. A neck donut will offer little to no actual neck support during a crash that will be beneficial compared to a neck brace. If people can afford $5000 quads and bikes they can afford a quality helmet and neck brace.

bomberman
04-25-2010, 11:07 AM
A neck donut will stop you bending your neck all the way back. A neck brace will do that but spread the load you get from doing so, across the chest and back.

J.Brown121
04-25-2010, 11:34 AM
Get the brace. You won't regret it. And try to talk your buddy into getting one also.

SRH
04-25-2010, 11:42 AM
the difference is you spend $40 on the donut and break your neck and die or becom a living head , and while you could of spent the $40 on something useful you wasted it on some dumb looking donut

the leatt, a stars and others are a step in the right but there testing isnt 100% that it truly protects you from anything, so basically your spending $400 and chancing they know what there talking about, id almost bet you wouldnt see alot of pro riders wearing them if there wasnt $$$ kicking in, stewart and rc didnt wear them because as i said leatts tests dont show it really helps anything there is no way to compensate for someone with a longer neck vs shorter neck so hows it going to help at all with compression or anything else, id say in order for it to truly work, each and everyone would have to be custom fit and would limit the riders mobility that it would be more dangerous... i dont see the benefit, ive been around ppl with broken necks, and id almost bet if most ppl had to be in there position for 1 day theyd never touch anything that was going to increase the chances of them being in that position
so just from that standpoint id say its worth a shot

bomberman
04-25-2010, 12:39 PM
they can never ever give them a 100% chance of protecting you from anything. If some dude comes off and dies. Then his family could say well you said it would 100% save him.

SRH
04-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by bomberman
they can never ever give them a 100% chance of protecting you from anything. If some dude comes off and dies. Then his family could say well you said it would 100% save him.

i really feel it might keep u from dying but ud still be a head, in which case death would be better

sykoz
04-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Thanks for all the replys guys. I was also wondering if the astars is as good as the others like the leatt , i've looked on some picture and it seems that its not as close to the helmet as the others , does it affect the protection ?

KXRida
04-25-2010, 05:48 PM
the Astars keeps a much lower profile on the rider shoulders. Better for us guys with non-giraffe necks. With my leatt I had some degree of helmet interference even with the members cranked down. I've had my astars since early november and couldn't be happier.

J.Brown121
04-26-2010, 02:34 PM
I really like my leatt, but I've never tried the astars. Astars puts out good products so I'm sure it's just as good as the leatt if not better. If it's possible try both on and see which you like better. Mine felt really un-natural at first, but now I love it.