PDA

View Full Version : 426 Build Preparation

bkelley
04-25-2010, 01:21 AM
I've got my suspension done and now I'm ready to get into the motor. I'm going to start buying pieces for my 426 build over the next couple of weeks and was just wondering what you guys think would be best. I'm looking to stay pump gas safe but I can run a mix of 91 and 100 if need be. I want to focus on reliability, too. I don't want to turn my bike into a never ending project. I will be adding a SPAL fan and possibly an over-sized oil tank for cooling. I was wondering if I would need an HD cam chain or HD studs for this build. I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible, but at the same time I don't want to half-*** it. What about valves? Will that be something I will have to look at before deciding on replacing? I figure they'll need to be adjusted if anything. Lastly, would it be best to take out the Sparks key and put the stock woodruff back or maybe a +3° in? I'm not sure what I did with my stock one.

Anyways, this is what I had in mind:

• 88mm 11:1 Piston (JE or Wiseco?)
• Stage 2 Cam (Hot Cams or Magnum?)
• Cometic Gaskets
• Mild Port and Polish
• HD Cam Chain?
• GT Studs?

I'm going to look around for a place to get the cylinder machined and the P&P work done. I think my friend may be able to get me a good deal. I think he said he paid $700 to bore out his YFZ 450, and that was supposedly the price for parts and labor. If that doesn't work out, I'll give the labor a shot myself. I figure between the shop manual and this place I'll be able to get it done.

So, am I missing anything?

honda01400ex
04-25-2010, 09:02 AM
sounds good man you can also go with the crf timing chain there a hell of alot cheaper

bkelley
04-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Yeah, if I were to get one it'd be the CRF one. I was just wondering how necessary it was.

gtt416ex
04-25-2010, 01:26 PM
i'd go ahead and invest in GTT Studs. My 11:1 416 blew a headgasket just 8 months after i built it. its an extra 60 bucks i wish i spent

bherriman
04-25-2010, 01:52 PM
$700 sounds steep to me but maybe its due to where you are located. When i built my 416 I had the local honda do the bore job ( 65 bucks) and went ahead and purchased and 11:1 wiseco and gasket kit through them ( ended up like 270 something) so it ended up being right around 320-330 (assembled it myself). But then again I live in a small town maybe thats the difference. Also I've always bought wiseco pistons for my bikes but a lot of people do say JE makes a better piston. Another thing to think about is the port and polish. Any sort of port work will make it flow better and make alittle more power but it also moves the power more towards top end. Just something to think about I personally like most of my power from low to mid but I ride trails.

bkelley
04-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Well, the first place I talked with quoted me $1500 for parts and labor so I'll take $700. It's gonna be at least $500 for parts alone. And I'm looking for a mild P&P.

TRX01
04-25-2010, 04:42 PM
well my setup is
:JE 88mm piston, with a 426 re-sleved cylinder
:new kibble white valves, valve guilds, and seals( had too sense mine were from 2001)
:stage 2 hotcam, and HD cam chain
:GTT HD studs

and GET the cometic gaskets cause there actually layered metal and is harder tp blow, i got a namuera gasket the first time and it blew the first ride so i had to tear open the top end again and replace and havent blew the cometic yet so go with cometic

honda400ex2003
04-25-2010, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by bkelley
Well, the first place I talked with quoted me $1500 for parts and labor so I'll take $700. It's gonna be at least $500 for parts alone. And I'm looking for a mild P&P.
it cost me like 150 bucks for a bore, light p and p, valve lap, and valve seals. I had the seals already but it shouldnt be too much more that 200 unless you have the head professionally done. even then it should not be 700. That is a ton. I would do the seals while you have it apart, otherwise your list sounds like a winner to me. That would be my setup for a 426 if i was going to do one. lol. steve

bkelley
04-25-2010, 05:58 PM
He paid $700 for the whole deal. Cylinder bore, mild port and polish, piston install, cam install, gasket install and the cost of parts. Ideally I'd like to take my bike and all the parts to someone, pay them x amount of dollars for the labor, then pick it up when it's finished. I'm sure I install everything myself, it would just be easier to have it someone who already knows what they're doing do it.

TRX01
04-25-2010, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
it cost me like 150 bucks for a bore, light p and p, valve lap, and valve seals. I had the seals already but it shouldnt be too much more that 200 unless you have the head professionally done. even then it should not be 700. That is a ton. I would do the seals while you have it apart, otherwise your list sounds like a winner to me. That would be my setup for a 426 if i was going to do one. lol. steve

i paid a 1G when mine was all said in done

mainyl because of the cylinder already re-sleved, that was 400 alone off of ebay and it came with already re sleved cylinder with GTT HD studs installed and HD cam chain and JE 88mm piston all a package deal

then i bought kibble white valves, valve guilds, valve seals and sent that to the shop to get installed

than 2 sets of gaskets, was 1G

bkelley
04-25-2010, 06:09 PM
You have a link to a similar package? That's actually what I was looking for.

TRX01
04-25-2010, 06:11 PM
nah man sorry, it was one a guy was actually selling, one that he had started and lost intreast so it was like a one of a kind thing, sorry

bkelley
04-25-2010, 06:15 PM
All good. So what is the difference between getting the cylinder machined and getting it sleeved?

honda400ex2003
04-25-2010, 06:23 PM
All good. So what is the difference between getting the cylinder machined and getting it sleeved?

machining takes the material off the sleeve that is in there already which is the 85mm bore that would go to an 88mm bore. A sleeve requires the stock sleeve to be pressed out, then the actual cast part of the cylinder be bored to accept the 88mm sleeve. this can be good or bad doing a sleeve. If done correctly pressing in a new sleeve will be better since the wall of the sleeve is thicker than the wall of the stock sleeve when bored. This dissipates more heat easier than the thinner stock sleeve. if not though, it can create problems since it can generate more heat between the cast and the sleeve if it is not tight enough, it can move also. the factory setup is usually the best setup for the sleeve since it was placed together at the factory also. it is preference mostly and $$. LA sleeve used to have a 88mm sleeve which i am sure you are referring to, i am not sure if they still do but if you are considering it, they probably do and it can be found on ebay. if it was me doing the bore, I would just bore the stock sleeve that is in there but as said there are good and bads to each lol. I hope this helps you out a bit B. steve

honda400ex2003
04-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by TRX01
i paid a 1G when mine was all said in done

mainyl because of the cylinder already re-sleved, that was 400 alone off of ebay and it came with already re sleved cylinder with GTT HD studs installed and HD cam chain and JE 88mm piston all a package deal

then i bought kibble white valves, valve guilds, valve seals and sent that to the shop to get installed

than 2 sets of gaskets, was 1G

I had about 600 in parts and the labor was my enjoyment of doing it myself. this motor is pretty easy to work on in your garage with basic tools. I know i dont have any flywheel holders or anything like that and could do a complete tear down in a few hours taking my time. steve

bherriman
04-25-2010, 07:05 PM

Again it must just be the difference in location because like I said parts (piston rings and complete top end gaskets includng valve seals and all that) was only around 270 and again I did do the install myself. It just sounds expensive to have spend 500 for parts when we have pretty much the same build minus the cam (you have a bigger bore but a machine shop shouldn't charge you any more between an 87 and 88mm bore). And when you have whoever take it apart just have him check valve spring pressure and check the valves for any pitting or hairline cracks, chances are they can just clean all the carbon off the valves and lap them into the head to make sure they seal properly and you will be good to go.

bkelley
04-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by bherriman
Again it must just be the difference in location because like I said parts (piston rings and complete top end gaskets includng valve seals and all that) was only around 270 and again I did do the install myself. It just sounds expensive to have spend 500 for parts when we have pretty much the same build minus the cam (you have a bigger bore but a machine shop shouldn't charge you any more between an 87 and 88mm bore). And when you have whoever take it apart just have him check valve spring pressure and check the valves for any pitting or hairline cracks, chances are they can just clean all the carbon off the valves and lap them into the head to make sure they seal properly and you will be good to go. I'm saying $500 for parts based off what I have found online. I'm still shopping around but so far this what I've seen.

• 88mm 11:1 JE Piston Kit - $170
• Stage 2 Hot Cam - $124
• Cometic Gaskets - $50
• CRF450 Cam Chain - $73
• GT Studs - $60

Total - $477

tayyo789
04-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Living where you do, I would go around town and talk to some desert racing guys. I'm sure there are some who know whats what, since it's the bike they were riding 10 years ago. Maybe they'll know of some good deals or something too

bherriman
04-25-2010, 08:36 PM
I'm saying $500 for parts based off what I have found online. I'm still shopping around but so far this what I've seen.

• 88mm 11:1 JE Piston Kit - $170
• Stage 2 Hot Cam - $124
• Cometic Gaskets - $50
• CRF450 Cam Chain - $73
• GT Studs - $60

Total - $477

Either way it would be worth spending the 5 to 700. I'm glad I only spent 300 for my 416 but it to me it would have been worth some extra cash it really wakes up the 400. The difference is night in day in my bike so I can imagine you'll be very happy with the 426 especially since you have the 450 carb. Now i need to get a 450 carb and a nice set of shocks lol

bkelley
04-27-2010, 12:28 AM
So GTThunder quoted me $450 for a mild P&P...

tayyo789
04-27-2010, 02:02 AM
I get all my P&P work done with a CNC machine at a local shop that builds drag cars for like $150. Man, Vegas seems spendy...