PDA

View Full Version : need help diagnosting and what to do

ridein'red7
04-24-2010, 10:12 PM
hey im getting a i belive 88 or 91 250x and its a basket case im gonna go throuth and build it out and make it look good well the main problem is with out knowing what the problem is(havent got the bike) the owner said sometthing let go in topend i went and looked at it and im getting a good deal but what could be the probem the timeing chain was all bound in there so i could turn it over is it possible the the chain let loose. let me know what u think im new to honda four strokes

ridein'red7
04-24-2010, 10:13 PM
hopin to get pix when i get it hear

ridein'red7
04-27-2010, 04:59 PM
anyone? got any ideas

smr
04-28-2010, 05:51 AM
most likely it broke a guid. Sometimes people will remove the gasket on the tensioner to try and get that little extra push on the guide. Not saying that is what happen but most likely.

ridein'red7
04-29-2010, 09:26 PM
thanks also looking for quick and cheap mods i wanted to do a hmf exaust but dont kno what one and a k&n with a prefilter and maybe a cam

smr
04-30-2010, 08:27 AM
I would stay away from the K&N unless you are only gonna have it on the track or dunes. K&N lets to much dust by for trail riding. Get a uni.

find you a 400ex carb, they help alot and usually you can get them pretty cheap.

honda250xrider
04-30-2010, 08:40 AM
depending on how much you are getting this for i would check that top end out. It's really simple and you do not need to take off much to inspect.

remove a couple bolts holding the plastic so you can take out the gas tank, remove the valve cover and then the head. From there you will see if there is any damage to the sleeve/piston/head/valves. This would be very worthwhile if spending over a couple hundred dollars on this.

ridein'red7
04-30-2010, 02:35 PM
its in peices and im getting it for 150$ :D kinda stoked lol something to mess with and have fun on but what i basically want to know is what is a common problem with these

honda250xrider
04-30-2010, 03:30 PM
for the most part these motors are bullet proof.

As stated above it most likely is the guide. Which is a relatively simple fix.

The only major damage i have ever had on these motors is when the engine dropped both exhaust valves, scored the sleeve up, ruined the piston, ruined the head. I do not know what caused this but i did have the cam chain completely thrown off, so i do not know if the cam chain slipped causing the timing to be off then leading to the dropped valves and eventually throwing the chain completely?

But sounds like you got a good deal, have fun with the build!

ridein'red7
04-30-2010, 07:41 PM
yea well its all there andthe plastics are like new and all of it 150 i couldnt go wrong. what should i do for mods hmf slip on n jets and a airfilter i wana cheap the price low