PDA

View Full Version : interesting concept...

jcs003
04-24-2010, 07:00 AM
this is a feasible solution to bad port timing, weak spark and insufficient octane..etc.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4844025.html

any thoughts?

LONG-ROD
04-24-2010, 07:14 AM
I did not read the entire article, but I dont think it will help with octane or port timing. port timing is when the ports open. by the piston passing by. this is altered by raising lowering port heights. also im not sure if a spark plugs off centered would affect performance due to port angles being set to deliver mixture to a specific spot in the combustion chamber..

jcs003
04-24-2010, 07:23 AM
i was refering to the fact if port timing is not correct it will effect combustion. a more efficient burn of fuel/air charge would correct this(in a sense) the loss of performance due to bad port timing may be offset by a better combustion.

LONG-ROD
04-24-2010, 09:06 AM
not 100 % sure,, but no I don't think it would help.

kookennay
04-24-2010, 09:27 AM
a friend of mnes dad has a old yamaha 400 two stroke, or atleast i think its a yamaha, and it has two spark plugs in the head from the factory. he said he has no clue why cause only one is hooked up. you would think that it would just ruin the other plug.

jcs003
04-24-2010, 09:43 AM
found this researching:

http://www.floheadworks.com/Articles/Detonation.htm

fastrnrik
04-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by kookennay
a friend of mnes dad has a old yamaha 400 two stroke, or atleast i think its a yamaha, and it has two spark plugs in the head from the factory. he said he has no clue why cause only one is hooked up. you would think that it would just ruin the other plug.

I thought some of the old dirt bikes had the two plugs so if you fouled a plug you could just swap the plug wire to the other plug and keep on riding?

kookennay
04-24-2010, 11:45 AM
thats what i thought to but you would think that with the other plug just being in there it would get fouled just from gas/oil getting on it, i by far not an expert so i probably wrong.

leager-n-ky
04-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by fastrnrik
I thought some of the old dirt bikes had the two plugs so if you fouled a plug you could just swap the plug wire to the other plug and keep on riding?

X2...

jcs003
04-24-2010, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by fastrnrik

yes, but this is having two firing plugs to improve engine efficiency. the article is long and technical but has me sold.

fearlessfred
04-24-2010, 03:41 PM
the only gains to be made ,are at an idle,and most of us dont ride at an idle . so i dont see whats it worth . the reason for the extra plug on the older bikes was to change over after fouling the first one . both were not working at the same time [ at least the bikes i have seen ] these were aftermarket heads and the spare plug was closer to the exhaust so it ran a little hotter and wouldnt foul as easy as the first one .keep in mind that the two stroke oils were not what we have today , and the carbs sucked. hell i used regular 30wt [carried an extra plug with me ] , the heads [combustion chamber] and spark plug location are designed so that the flame front meets the piston squarely just as the piston starts its downward travel , haveing two flame fronts colliding with each other doesnt sound like its in the best interest of performance. i think the only reason that it might prevent misfires at an idle is because you have two chances of firing the mixture

jcs003
04-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by fearlessfred
the only gains to be made ,are at an idle,and most of us dont ride at an idle . so i dont see whats it worth . the reason for the extra plug on the older bikes was to change over after fouling the first one . both were not working at the same time [ at least the bikes i have seen ] these were aftermarket heads and the spare plug was closer to the exhaust so it ran a little hotter and wouldnt foul as easy as the first one .keep in mind that the two stroke oils were not what we have today , and the carbs sucked. hell i used regular 30wt [carried an extra plug with me ] , the heads [combustion chamber] and spark plug location are designed so that the flame front meets the piston squarely just as the piston starts its downward travel , haveing two flame fronts colliding with each other doesnt sound like its in the best interest of performance. i think the only reason that it might prevent misfires at an idle is because you have two chances of firing the mixture

read the article.

this theory was also used in a few different automobiles. it also was used in airplanes when they had 2 & 4 cycle engines.

fearlessfred
04-24-2010, 06:09 PM
hey, you asked for our thoughts . those were mine. if you dont like it ,tell me and i will refrain from responding to any of your posts.

jcs003
04-25-2010, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by fearlessfred
hey, you asked for our thoughts . those were mine. if you dont like it ,tell me and i will refrain from responding to any of your posts.

thats not what i meant. you responded to the other posts on the thread not the subject which just convoluted the whole subject.

2 firing spark plugs, not 2 plugs where the coil wire is swapped.

bill wright
04-25-2010, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by kookennay
a friend of mnes dad has a old yamaha 400 two stroke, or atleast i think its a yamaha, and it has two spark plugs in the head from the factory. he said he has no clue why cause only one is hooked up. you would think that it would just ruin the other plug. that 2nd hole is for a compression release valve. when that valve started leaking, the easiest(cheapest)fix is to put a sparkplug in it (same threads)