PDA

View Full Version : Monster coil and plug resistor ????

dalejiw25
04-24-2010, 04:59 AM
Please correct me if I'm wrong but, Wouldn't the resistor in the plug wire defeat the whole purpose of a larger coil ???? And what exactly is that resistor doing there anyways, And is it really needed ???? Maybe I'm missin something here. Thanks.

jcs003
04-24-2010, 06:22 AM
every wire has a specific amount of resistance. different resistance rating are used in specific applications. the electrical resistance is transfered to the spark plug to produce a spark to ignite fuel/air charge.

dalejiw25
04-24-2010, 06:34 AM
Understood, but I'm not questioning the resistance in the wire as much as the physical "Resistor " installed in the plug boot.

jcs003
04-24-2010, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by dalejiw25
Understood, but I'm not questioning the resistance in the wire as much as the physical "Resistor " installed in the plug boot.

i assume it works the same as a resistor spark plug. probably to cancel radio interference.

Moto Pro472
04-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
the electrical resistance is transfered to the spark plug to produce a spark to ignite fuel/air charge.

Wow that makes no sense what-so-ever lol...

Lets put it this way...

If you have a coil that outputs 5 volts and a 100 Ohm resistor you have .05 amps going to your plug.

If you have a "monster" coil that outputs 10 volts and the same 100 Ohm resistor you have .1 amps going to your plug.

Now the difference between the regular coil and the monster coil is not this drastic but they "claim" to have better spark.

jcs003
04-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Moto Pro472: how doesnt it make sense? the spark energy is directly related to resistance in the coil. that energy is converted to spark by the spark plug. this in turn ignites the fuel/air mix.

LOL!!

Moto Pro472
04-24-2010, 02:14 PM
This doesn't make sense "electrical resistance is transfered to the spark plug". Resistance is a property of an object, It does not get transfered.

Now current/voltage is a different story.

jcs003
04-24-2010, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Moto Pro472
This doesn't make sense "electrical resistance is transfered to the spark plug". Resistance is a property of an object, It does not get transfered.

Now current/voltage is a different story.

ok. i see where i misspoke. transfered was the wrong word to use. my appologies.

fearlessfred
04-24-2010, 04:14 PM
as far as i know the risister i n a plug is for radio interferance but the risistance in jumping the gap is so great that whats built into the plug makes no differance when i used to drag race when we ran bigger stonger coils.we open the plug gaps to 50 thousandsth to make use of it. i have never done this on a cdi ignition because it would hurt it , i believe that only the amount of energy needed to jump the gap is used ,so that is the reasoning behind increasing the gap

fearlessfred
04-24-2010, 04:21 PM
i reread your original post .and you stated that the risister is in the plug wire , not plug sorry, but i think it all still aplys

honda400ex2003
04-24-2010, 05:11 PM
Take it out of the wire if you want and put something solid in that conducts better. it has been done to these wires before. steve

dalejiw25
04-25-2010, 05:13 AM
OK.... After a little searching I've found an older thread that seams to verify that the verdict is still out on this topic. No one has a real definitive Yes or No... Prolly beatin a dead horse here but my OCD has got the best of me lol, Here it is:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=386220&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

dalejiw25
04-25-2010, 06:41 AM
This thread has slightly overheated my brain, Not unlike my 440 Stroker at idle. Luckily we've found that Balls out H.P. at W.O.T. with The right F/A mixture(That's right, Fuel to Adrenalin) Seems to greatly dissipate the heat in both of us. With that said, Enough Idling. Off to W.O.T. land we go to cool thing off. LMAO All the way !!!!

04-25-2010, 07:12 AM
cant we all just get along ( lol )

Moto Pro472
04-25-2010, 10:20 AM
Alright I'm going to try to clear this up for some of you.

A coil is a ton of wires wrapped around in a coil (hence the name). There are large diameter wires and small diameter wires having really high resistance. A magnetic field is induced in the coil and it takes in your 12 volt supply from your battery induces very high voltages in order to cause the voltage to jump across your spark plug making a spark and igniting your air/fuel mix.

Now on the output wire of the coil which goes to the plug there is a resistor which the OP was questioning about. Honda put this resistor there for a reason. When your coil induces a charge on the plug wire it is not 100% constant every time your plug fires. One time it may be 100v then 105v then 95v (just pulling random numbers). The resister is there to decrease this margin so you receive a more constant voltage say 95v-98v.

Now if you remove this resistor you WILL see higher voltages at your spark plug although they will not be as consistent.

To answer the OP's question regarding the monster coil. If you change the coil out to the monster coil it will induce a higher charge on your spark plug wire. It takes in your 12 volt supply from your battery and maybe this time instead of 100v output you may receive 150v output. The resistor will not cancel out the affects of the monster coil.

IMHO I would not bother with removing the resistor out of the plug wire but if it gets you off then so be it. If you are going to do this mod or run the coil please check your plug regularly to make sure your not running too hot.

jcs003
04-25-2010, 10:33 AM
the battery is used for the electric starter. the stator coil is what generates the energy for spark and lighting.

Moto Pro472
04-25-2010, 10:53 AM
Yes but for purposes of explanation the coil takes in an input voltage and outputs a higher output voltage.

dalejiw25
04-25-2010, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the insight Moto Pro. You pretty much nailed it with the words - Inconsistent spark. There's already enough Variables involved in these motors, No need to add Inconsistencies. Thanks

witech
04-25-2010, 09:19 PM
We did some dyno testing and research on aftermarket coils and the conclusion was it made the quad idle just a bit smoother but had no effect on actual power under load. The spark plug lights the fire mixture. Doesnt matter if its a weak spark or a 100,000 volt lightning bolt. Its there to light the fire. Kind of like burning a forest down with a match or a flame thrower. They both get the job done. But one doesnt lighten your wallet.
It seems many who claim that a lot of gimmicky devices work do because they parts they replaced were bad
Like when you replace your filthy plugged air filter with an aftermarket one yes you will notice a difference but it was because the air filter was clean and new not because it was a different type. They could have just cleaned it to have the same effect. Its the same with plugs ,coils ,wires ect.

TYTE440
04-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Good info in here guys, thanks!