PDA

View Full Version : why will it not start

odie
01-29-2003, 02:29 PM
my 02' ex starts just fine in warm weather and runs strong but when Its cold out side It will not start for nobody,only way to start it is to push start it.I think it might be jetted wrong.any input would help alot.

250exen
01-29-2003, 02:53 PM
My guess is the WB rev box
ive herd many people hav trouble with them

Sandragggen
01-29-2003, 03:17 PM
Yep, switch rev box back to stock and it will start right up. After motor warms up, swich back to WB box.

Rebel300
01-29-2003, 04:01 PM
I agree. I have heard the after market rev boxes dont work as good when it is cld. Switch back to staock and then put the other one on in the summer.

02 Red Rider
01-29-2003, 04:21 PM
I personally have not had a problem with my Rev box but I now that alot of people here and some around me have. It's a good place to start.

Nausty
01-29-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by odie
my 02' ex starts just fine in warm weather and runs strong but when Its cold out side It will not start for nobody,only way to start it is to push start it.I think it might be jetted wrong.any input would help alot.

please tell me you don't have the stock pilot, or jetting for that matter? If so check out the faq and you should be able to find some answers.

zoom400ex
01-29-2003, 04:33 PM
wait i have trouble starting my 400 and i dont have an aftermarket rev box. i think its just because it is cold blooded. its starts fine in the summer

Newbie400ex
01-29-2003, 04:48 PM
I know this may sound funny but I just changed the main jet and it starts better in cold weather. Whatever you do don't use the dam choke! I just pump the throttle about 3 times and whaammo. I couldn't do that with the stock main jet in it. Hmmm. I know it's not supposed to make a difference but it did.

speedy400
01-29-2003, 04:49 PM
I noticed you had K&N's if you have prefilters try taking them off for a sec. i know a guy with a banshee who could not get it start for a good 3 months, he couldnt figure it out, he took off the prefilters and kick right over. the prefilters get warn out espesially if you ride in sand. after awhile they can end up not giving te motor any air(what happened to his, no air what so ever). just my 2 cents

TravEX
01-29-2003, 05:31 PM

what jets did you put in it?

i have a lot of trouble with mine when it's below 40 degrees outside, but i think i found a way to get mine to start better in the cold, i tried this past saturday to start mine up for the first time in 4 weeks, it was 30 degrees outside, i cranked and cranked and nothing, i tried the choke first, then i put a new spark plug in and it fired up first thing and idled like it should,,,i believe that if you use the choke it messes the plug up, at least that's my experience,,,

later

Martin Blair
01-29-2003, 08:39 PM
I had trouble starting mine but then if igured out just to pump the throttle once or twice and it fires right up.

NoWingNoPrayer
01-29-2003, 08:43 PM
I love my WB box but it really pissed me off one night when the temp was 28 degrees and the other 3 400s would start and mine wouldent (they are all stock) so i would say a good rule of thumb is to carry the stock one with you when its freezing out

odie
01-29-2003, 10:13 PM
I put the stock rev box in it,started right up with no problem,is their a way to tell if they are bad or not?

Colby@C&DRacing
01-29-2003, 11:18 PM
It's not a bad box it is just that the timing is changed from stock which makes them hard to start in the cold weather

01-30-2003, 06:27 AM
I put the stock rev box in it,started right up with no problem,is their a way to tell if they are bad or not?

It's bad from the start,,there junk...it'll give you problems in the summer too. You have to have a fully charged battery at all times to run a WB CDI and not have problems.. Mine wouldn't start in 90 degree weather in Aug. and that's not cold weather in my mind..:D

And yes don't use the choke..it just makes it real easy to foul plugs..