View Full Version : how often to repack rear axle bearings

chill22
01-29-2003, 02:15 PM
I have a 00 400 ex. Cant remember if any at all i have packed the rear bearings. Does this need to be done or do I just wait until they go out.

Thanks

Rip_Tear
01-29-2003, 03:47 PM
I would pack them atleast once a year! If not more often... I just got my 400ex in October, and it was supposed to be serviced before I got it... Which as far as I can tell it was. But I am going through it all now anyways just to be safe. Its not that hard if you have some knowledge of mechanices. Just my opinion, I will probaly do them at least twice a year though...

250rtone
01-31-2003, 07:07 PM
How do you "PACK" a sealed bearing? My R had sealed rear bearings, so i assume my ex has the same type.

Stevie-D
02-02-2003, 03:42 PM
How do you "PACK" a sealed bearing? My R had sealed rear bearings, so i assume my ex has the same type.
the bearings are packed from the factory, and do not require grease inside of them by you. but you do need to lube around the bearings so they stay lubed and dont get fried.

Nj400EX
02-02-2003, 06:45 PM
Buy one of these , makes greasing a breeze :)

Stevie-D
02-02-2003, 06:51 PM
i think that the stock carrier should really have a zerk on it

02-02-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Stevie-D
i think that the stock carrier should really have a zerk on it
w/a drill &a tap you can install it yourself

over there !! over there !....rich wassup?:confused2

Darrell
02-05-2003, 12:26 PM
Guys they are sealed bearings in the carrier. But! you can increase the life of the bearings.

Pop your seals out and if if you need to replace the seals when you are done they are about 9.00 each at a bike shop (you can order cheaper).

The black (or red) sealed part on the bearing can be popped out also. I use a pocket knife and carefully pry the seal off the bearing. That seal is suppose to keep grease in there, and its amazing how much water it holds too (If you do a lot of wet riding). Spray that out with some solvent (I use automotive brake cleaner). And pack in some new "water proof" type grease (I use Automotive CV Joint grease). Pop the rubber seal back into the bearing and install seals (old or new)in the carrier, and you're ready to go again.

I bought new bearings at the local bike shop and paid 35.00 a piece for them, needless to say I'm takeing better care of these.

Also, just to tell you all what I've done. I bought anouther carrier off e-bay, and have one clean, greased and ready to go all the time. Might not be sensible to do for you, but in Missouri where I live, there lots of mud to ride in, so I pay a lot of attention to my bearings.

Rip_Tear
02-05-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Nj400EX
Buy one of these , makes greasing a breeze :)

What kind is that? How much was it... I tried looking for the #'s and letters on it, but couldnt find it... Thanks!

toby400ex
02-05-2003, 08:08 PM
i think the better thing to do is to just buy some bearings and seals from www.meszmoto.com. Theyre only $25 for 2 bearings and 2 seals, and thats a great deal, i need to get some just for a spare set.

Nj400EX
02-06-2003, 01:24 PM
I got my carrier from http://www.nbsdistributing.com/nbs.html
I am VERY pleased with it

luvmyex
02-07-2003, 08:02 AM
Thats the first one ive seen with the zerk on the side like that.Mine is in the middle and i have to take it out to grease it.Thats a much better design i think.