PDA

View Full Version : stuck lugnut, HELP!

tbrackman84
04-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Ok, i went to take my front tire off, and this will be the first time i have it off for any reason, to go get different tires put on. I loosened three lugs no problem, then the last one was really tight. I got leverage on it and broke my socket!!! what do you guys think is going on? i'm afraid to try again before i hear from you fellas becasue i do NOT want to break the stud right off the hub, i need to go out riding tomrrow, lol. Thanks alot.

JIM GRACE
04-23-2010, 08:39 PM
I would spray wd40 on the bolt and let it sit for ten
minutes and use an impact gun, shouldspin right
off.
Just curious, are those no name sockets that broke ???

Guy400
04-23-2010, 08:43 PM
I don't know what kind of tools you have access to but try to use an impact socket with a breaker bar.

tbrackman84
04-23-2010, 08:52 PM
It is an S-K socket that broke, and i dont have an impact gun right now, i could get one but I am trying to get them off tonight to get 'em changed in the morning. And I actually sprayed PB blaster on is when it was at first so difficult, before i broke the socket.

Kickstarts-suck
04-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Like said before. Impact SOCKET with a breaker bar.

quad2xtreme
04-23-2010, 09:31 PM
agree ^^^. Even if it does break the stud, that is what has to happen. you have to get the wheel off to fix it no matter what. You can ride XC with 3 lugs. I wouldn't go on a track and jump though. I've rode with a missing lug for several months before.

TNT
04-23-2010, 09:53 PM
You’d have to fail the stud in tension, bending, or shear, but the nut is in compression you have to over come. Don’t worry about breaking the stud; just don’t bend it in your efforts. It can’t fail in tension (pulling) unless it’s stripped or has some crazy loc-tite glue or corrosion, you can’t shear it off unless you whack it on the side. Only way to break it is in bending so keep your breaker center-line inline with the studs.

Steel studs you can apply some small temporary heat to if you don’t have the impact socket or can’t get it at the store. Also you can get the same affect as an impact or close by hitting the breaker with a sledge hammer to break it loose by impact. If you have a friend hold the breaker straight with their foot and apply a little torch heat prior to the blow you might break it loose.

I think Sears sells a tool that breaks of nuts is a last option if you do strip the nut. Torque new one to the proper value to avoid this in the future.

Good luck!

CJM
04-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Breaker bar and impact socket. Course your socket coulda been worn out to and combined with overly torqued nut snapped the socket.

You will shear the stud off with enough force. It wont bend, it wont break, it will shear right off. Then you can pound out the remains if you want to leave it be till you replace it.

TNT
04-23-2010, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Breaker bar and impact socket. Course your socket coulda been worn out to and combined with overly torqued nut snapped the socket.

You will shear the stud off with enough force. It wont bend, it wont break, it will shear right off. Then you can pound out the remains if you want to leave it be till you replace it.

Below is a bolt in shear, when you try and torque a bolt/nut off it won't fail in shear. It fails from a bending moment or torsion load. I beleive he said he doesn't have an impact gun or socket and everyone keeps telling him to use one....lol!

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk191/Terrylport/pa341.jpg

You'll see an elogated hole or a bolt rip through material or a bolt split clean at a shear plane when it shears out....usually the material fails before the bolt/stud and a stud will fail in bending before shear when placed in shear.

Just FYI :)