PDA

View Full Version : CT national Pipe

maryland450r
04-23-2010, 03:28 PM
I don't see much on here about the ct pipes. Can anyone throw in some feedback on the "national" midrange pipe?
Does it compare to the TRX5? I am in serious debate right now on which pipe to run. I would like to use the ct since I am using the ct graphics but I don't want it if it is not close in performance to the ESR trx5.

Also, what exactly makes the '88-'89 style seats more preferred and what is the main difference? Is it taller?

Thanks!

CorvetteZ06
04-23-2010, 03:49 PM
I run a CT national midrange, and I really like it, nice mid to low, and doesnt just drop off on the top. great woods/mx pipe.

cdrookie
04-24-2010, 06:50 AM
the trx5 is a mid range only pipe, very little low end and falls off pretty fast on the top end. the ct is more low-mid but still pulls some up top, alot smoother than the esr.

88-89 seat is taller, i prefer the 86-87.

maryland450r
04-24-2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks, I had the trx5 on my old 250r and I did notice how it signed off in the upper rpms. I guess I am just trying to find that happy medium where there is just enough low end to do a little woods riding but still enough top end to rev it out in the open fields and trails. I was leaning towards the CT but not knowing much feedback on it I am worried that it will have a terrible top end.

cdrookie
04-24-2010, 11:30 AM
depending on your set it it should preform decently, sparks mx would be the shizzle if you can find one

maryland450r
04-25-2010, 12:04 PM
I think I may give the CT a try. Is the CT silencer as loud as the ESR?
If I ended up going ESR, I was going to do the center mount.

Ruf Racing
04-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by cdrookie
the trx5 is a mid range only pipe, very little low end and falls off pretty fast on the top end. the ct is more low-mid but still pulls some up top, alot smoother than the esr.

I disagree. The TRX5 pipe is a great all around pipe. It has a nice feel through all ranges.

HAYESTRX250R
05-03-2010, 11:55 PM
I can't speak for comparison since I've never ran the TRX5. My CT mid range pipe is great for woods/hills and general riding. I don't doubt the effectiveness of it's power production. However for MX it hits kinda hard for jumping especially part throttle mid rpm transition to full throttle (very pipey) on approach. But I'm a puss when it comes to jumping so......

maryland450r
05-04-2010, 03:13 AM
Thanks! Well I gave in and ordered the CT last week, should be in today. Hopefully I will have my R all together by next week.

C-LEIGH RACING
05-04-2010, 09:55 AM
If your cylinder portings close, say like midrange, you'll be pleased.
We use the CT on short tight tracks, because of the bottom pull & then the TRX5 on kinda long open freed up tracks that dont bind the engine down.
I dont know about that sounding off at top end on the TRX5, it has some pull sort of up high, but then again its not a drag pipe thats all top end.

It realy depends on how close the porting is to matching up with the pipe if the engine will pull good down low or rev out.

You take a big bore aftermarket R cylinder, port it midrange with say 240~250lbs compression, CT midrange pipe & learn where to shift those gears at the meat of the power output, you'll send a bunch of those high dollar 4 poker engine riders home crying to their engine builder wanting some more ponnies before they come back.
Neil

norcalduner
05-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Also just a thought to consider since I have had both pipes, the top mounted CT is more "challenging" to bolt up specifically on aftermarket frames compared to the ESR pipes which are bottom mounted.

C-LEIGH RACING
05-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by norcalduner
Also just a thought to consider since I have had both pipes, the top mounted CT is more "challenging" to bolt up specifically on aftermarket frames compared to the ESR pipes which are bottom mounted.

I know thats right.
Dont know how many times I've had to straighten out the connection joint on the CT, get that flat spot out so it could be put back together at the header.

When the engines not in the frame, ol CT pipe will fall right into place, but, what good is the pipe if no engines in place.
Neil

maryland450r
05-10-2010, 03:43 PM
I got the CT in the mail the other day. Bolted it all up and sealed up the typical leak joints. It went together pretty good. I don't have it running yet, waiting on my carb setup from ESR. Even then I wont be able to ride it till I get my parts I'm waiting on from Works and Burgard.
I will say though, I do think the ESR pipes look a little better but as long as it performs good I will be happy for now.

TLR-Online
05-10-2010, 05:24 PM
These pipe hangers (18355-KS6-000) work well with Top Mounting Pipes. You can attach the "tabbed" end to one of the head stay mounting bolts, and the other end to the pipe:

http://www.shopswedetech.com/v/vspfiles/photos/18355-KS6-000-1.jpg

C-LEIGH RACING
05-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by TLR-Online
These pipe hangers (18355-KS6-000) work well with Top Mounting Pipes. You can attach the "tabbed" end to one of the head stay mounting bolts, and the other end to the pipe:

That a Honda part number.
Neil

maryland450r
05-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Nice info on the hanger! It does look like it would work better than the stock one I am using. It works but seems like it is stretching just a little.

My old R had the ESR 5. How the heck was that bottom mount supposed to be mounted? I couldn't find anything even close to where that tab hung down to mount it to.

norcalduner
05-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by TLR-Online

Thanks for this info. Looks a lot better than the banshee hangers I've been using.

TLR-Online
05-10-2010, 07:11 PM
No problem guys! Best part is that it is an OEM Honda Part.

I actually thought about selling these because they work so well. I would have to sell them for around $14, so i figured everyone would be better off ordering them from honda.

They have tons of movement, flex side/side and back/forth. The hole on the non "tabbed" side is smaller, so it will need to be drilled out, or you can actually tap it if you like.

Here are some pics:
http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af328/TLR-Online/Projects/IMG_1831.jpg

Bolt is barely seen with fenders installed. I just used an old bolt i had laying around..
http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af328/TLR-Online/Projects/IMG_1833.jpg