PDA

View Full Version : Shocks

turdboy
04-23-2010, 11:55 AM
hey guys I am just curious to know how your shocks feel when you just push your quad down while its sitting. I had my shocks re valved this year for my weight and now they seem too stiff. When they quad is sitting and I push the front end down I have to use a lot of force and it doesn't move much. I was pushing on my buddy's YFZ the ohter day with floats and I caould almost bottom it out. He is lighter than me, but I don't know. I guess I will just have to mess with comp./reb. to find a setting I like. The main reason I a frusterated is because I ran all winter long and lifted, well last weekend was my first race of the year and after a lap and a half I was dead. Dead like never before. I feel like I am fighting my quad. So let me know how mushy your shocks feel so I can get a better understanding. Thanks.

Scro
04-23-2010, 01:04 PM
It's hard to really say how they are supposed to feel by pushing down on it. Mine feel hard, and they ride great. Alot of it has to do with your riding ability, and what riding level you told your shock builder. I've felt some shocks setup for Pro XC, and they felt really stiff. I've felt shocks setup for C class, and they felt really soft. Both probably worked well for each of the riders, because it matched their riding speed and ability. Generally, the faster you are, the stiffer the valving is going to be.

If you can push down on your buddies front end and almost bottom them out, think about what's happening when he hits a gully or flat lands a jump. He's going to be bottoming out way too much.

Also, there's no exercise in the world that can compare to actually riding and practicing. If a cross country runner, or a bodybuilder were to try to race XC, they would be just as tired. Seat time is the best thing that you can do that will build your endurance.

dustin_j
04-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Did you set your race sag and ride height? After you compress your shocks (on the quad), do they rebound or are they hung up? Were springs changed when your shocks were revalved?