PDA

View Full Version : 400ex leaking

farmboy1
04-23-2010, 09:59 AM
I had new rings and a head gasket installed in my quad over the winter. once i got my quad back i noticed the head gasket was leaking a little bit on the left front side but not alot to where i was worried about it. i have put roughly 20-25 hours of riding time on my quad since, and the leak seemed to stop for awhile. I changed the oil after a big riding trip about a month ago, and after riding it for about 30 minutes, i noticed it's leaking worse, to where it is dripping down onto the oil tank, and frame.

Any hints or tips on what to do or where to start?
I'm still really new to quads and working on them, so any help would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

aDviSol2y
04-23-2010, 10:25 AM
You say you had it installed? meaning someone else did the work? If so you should have had them put a new one on right away. You need a new headgasket.

jcs003
04-23-2010, 12:31 PM
a bad gasket is a very bad thing. im amazed your motor held up. the air leak will cause a lean condition and possibly burn down your motor.

the gasket definitly needs replaced. you also need to have your piston, rings and bore all checked when the gasket is being replaced.

tri5ron
04-23-2010, 09:43 PM
Also,...
if the head bolts were over torqued, and got streatched or stripped, your in for a little more expensive of a journey than you may have expected.
Good luck with it, and hope that you dont have a stripped head bolt.

farmboy1
04-26-2010, 10:14 AM
I am not sure if it is the head gasket, or the valve cover, but it is at the top of the jug.
I have already had a new head gasket put in when the new rings were put in.
I did not do the work, but would never once think about questioning this guy on it as he has done this for many many years

farmboy1
04-27-2010, 12:00 PM
any help?

rooster300ex
04-27-2010, 12:08 PM
if its leakin onto the oil tank its gotta be higher then the head gasket. Its prolly the valve cover leakin. Take it back to the person who put it on and have him fix it. Prolly didn't get a good seal on it.

farmboy1
04-27-2010, 12:17 PM
thanks for the comment.
it is toward the top of the motor. it is not leaking onto the oil tank i was wrong about that but down toward the frame and on the motor mount.

rooster300ex
04-27-2010, 01:08 PM
post some pics or a vid