PDA

View Full Version : high comp.pisto when to replace rings?

DnB_racing
04-22-2010, 09:42 PM
I recently put in a JE 13.5 piston (3 rings)in and I was wondering how long can you go on rings? the recomendation is about 40 hours.how long have you gone on rings? Ive gone almost 40 hours now should I replace rings and If I dont how big of a risk is it, right now it is running really good and I really dont want to change anything-and whats the differance between the 2 and 3 ring piston they both are avalable in 13.5 comp the 2 ring piston is lighter so I would think that its a faster reving piston so whats the advantage to running the three ring is the three ring more dependable and longer between rebuild?any info on this woulp be helpful

DnB_racing
04-23-2010, 06:47 AM
if I dont replace rings for awhile do I risk them destroying cylinder or will performance just suffer

Scro
04-23-2010, 08:38 AM
Loss in compression, slight loss of power, and puffs of smoke can indicate worn rings. If you don't have any of these symptoms, I would just wait. Being a three ring piston, you can go a little longer before needing new rings. A two-ring piston is not necessarily lighter, but there is less friction between the rings and the cylinders. Less friction = more power, but probably not enough to tell a difference riding. You may see a slight increase on the dyno. Also, two-rings tend to use oil because of blow-by while warming it up.

DnB_racing
04-23-2010, 11:37 AM
thanks Bro so do you think a 3 ring piston is the way to go on a privately funded machine? I dont mind doing the winter rebuilds so I think I will be staying with the 3, I might not make the next winter rebuild on these rings I've done a lot of spring riding but I will wait for any issues before changing. is it worth using the 2 ring in your opinion?

Scro
04-23-2010, 12:56 PM
It's not worth it in my opinion, unless you are racing MX or TT where horsepower plays a bigger role. If you are just trail riding or XC racing, I say the three-ring is the way to go.

DnB_racing
04-23-2010, 01:05 PM
I do race it in the non modified class drags about 10 times a summer in Maine just for fun but it's already to fast for the trail class and Im not going to change the suspension enough to run in modified. right now I have to back down at the end so I dont break out of the class time so I guess ill stick to this set up, a little less maint.

04-27-2010, 10:48 PM
damn changing rings every 40 hours like every 4 or 5 rides I would need new rings! That gets expensive and time consuming!

DnB_racing
04-27-2010, 11:03 PM
im not going to change I was talking to a JE rep and he said about 200 hours is more like the recommended time and he says to change before you see any problems to avoid any cylinder problems the sales man was the one that said 40 hours I thought that was a little strange also but 200 makes more sense so actually I will do seasonally during the off months in the winter