PDA

View Full Version : Hour meter

Honda4life05
04-22-2010, 03:12 PM
I'm looking to get an hour meter, or something to tell me how many hours i have on my bike so i know about when to change the oil. If any of you have one pleae post pics of where you have it mounted. i'm looking for on that is easy to hook up, and isn't too expensive. thanks

DnB_racing
04-22-2010, 03:25 PM
if you need an hour meter to tell you when to change oil your going to be spending a lot more money on motor work than on your hour meter. when your done riding change oil and buy a watch to see how long it takes to change oil and save your motor from catastrophic failure

Honda4life05
04-22-2010, 03:31 PM
anyone with useful information?

DnB_racing
04-22-2010, 03:40 PM
do you really think an hour meter is needed for your oil? Im serious about engine failure dont wait so long to change your oil that you need an hour meter to keep track of it If you want to put one on thats fine but for changing oil REALLY? I thought you were joking thats why i said get a watch. 450s arnt like 300 they take maint. to keep up And if you dont find that changing your oil every time you ride useful info than you have more than you now to learn im just trying to help you not blowing up your motor

Honda4life05
04-22-2010, 03:50 PM
No, i wasn't "jocking." please leave your opinions to yourself so other people can post. thanks

curryd
04-22-2010, 03:54 PM
This has been discussed many times about oil. I change mine every other weekend. Back to the question. I haven't installed one but it would be a good idea to know what kind of hours you get on a machine to help with maintennance like valve adjustment, and general info.

DnB_racing
04-22-2010, 03:55 PM
its not my opinion that these motors need oil changed often that is a fact

eastside 400
04-22-2010, 04:14 PM
the hour meter is a good tool to use for checking the hrs on a new build so you can keep track of your valves and also just to see how much time you have on your parts. I think DRD makes one thats pretty decent and cheap

DnB_racing
04-22-2010, 04:20 PM
yes very useful tool if used for the right purpose, that being said if you dont know how long its been since valves or rings or any maint has been done then its probably time do some work on it

cwr~413
04-22-2010, 04:23 PM
i use a pc racing motominder. its really small and easy to install. i like to know how much time the motor has on it, and its easy to keep up with valve adjustment times.

Honda4life05
04-22-2010, 04:49 PM
alright thanks, do any of you guys have any pics of them mounted on your quad? I don't know if i'll have room. i'm running flexx bars with handguards, and a killswitch.

eastside 400
04-22-2010, 04:56 PM
your not supposed to put it on the bars, most people put them under the hood or on the frame rail out of the way

Honda4life05
04-22-2010, 05:02 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hour-meter-tacho-yamaha-kodiak-grizzly-big-bear-yfm-atv-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem563b9fda12QQitemZ37036 7519250QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

how does this one look? I know it's pretty cheap but it looks like it will get the job done. and also, how do you tap into your spark plug wire? thanks

mc_racer
04-22-2010, 06:23 PM
You just wrap the wire from the meter around the plug wire, no need to tap into it.
I just stuck mine on the cross brace between the front shocks.

curryd
04-22-2010, 07:32 PM
Just wrapping the wire does it? Sounds too good to be true. Definitely going to get one when I rebuild the motor again.

Honda4life05
05-01-2010, 08:41 PM
I finnaly got my hour meter today. It has 2 wires. one for ground an the other goes around the sparkplug wire. do i just wrap it around the sparkplug wire with the insulation around the wire still on, or do i have to strip the wire first? also what did you guys do to keep the wire around the spark plug wire? thanks

CRE Performance
05-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Just wrap it around your plug wire. DO NOT CUT YOUR PLUGWIRE IN ANY WAY!!!!

BTW, for anyone else looking for an hour meter, Sears has them. Its the same one that most other expensive companies sell. Every time I have bought one, or sent someone to buy one, they were on sale for about $20. Normally they are $29. I have one on both race quads, they have held up well.

Honda4life05
05-01-2010, 09:25 PM
alright thanks. I got mine off ebay for $20 shipped. it shows rpm's as well as the hours and it looks pretty good. (idk how accurate the rpm's will be)

nskukalek79
05-01-2010, 10:58 PM
i got mine off ebay too, probably the same one. it works good...i just wrapped the wire around the spark plug wire as much as possible and then wrapped that all up in electrical tape...it looks great, almost like its supposed to be there.

i installed mine under my seat on the little platform behind the air box...i can post some pictuers later

Ruf Racing
05-02-2010, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by eastside 400
the hour meter is a good tool to use for checking the hrs on a new build so you can keep track of your valves and also just to see how much time you have on your parts.

^^ Agreed^^ Seems like a very good idea! No need for smart *** opinions.

Honda4life05
05-02-2010, 09:10 AM
It would be cool if i could put if somewhere near the handlebars but there isn't room. I think i'm going to put it where the coolant lid is (but on the other side) or under the seat. Either way i'll post pics when i'm done. thanks

Honda4life05
05-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Here she is all done! i think it looks pretty clean and it only took me an hour. The only worries i have it the radiator getting too hot and melting the plastic but i hope not. the hour meter stays on all of the time and when you start it, it also shows your rpm's.