PDA

View Full Version : nose high hitting breaks to bring front end down?

shane071489
04-22-2010, 12:52 PM
ok i know if you want to bring the front end down you hit the rear brakes...well wont it stall the motor? or am i suppose to hold the cluth in while i hit the rear brakes? also there is only a few jumps that send my nose high can i ask why? is it the lip the shock preloading or what?

SmthHonRider99
04-22-2010, 01:03 PM
yes you pull your clutch in. and yes some jumps just throw you differently than others. if you know what jumps do it i would just anticipate it and lean forward a little right before you jump it.

bomberman
04-22-2010, 01:18 PM
rev it a bit while u pull the clutch in and tap the brake aswell. Just incase it doesnt tick over. and remember to be on the gas when you let the clutch out. Other wise you will stall it!

133tmf
04-22-2010, 02:50 PM
u can also try and carry more speed into a jump this will automatically even you out more , alot of people are on and off with the throttle and then give it that last braaap before takeoff , if u jus stay on the throttle evenly all the way thru , u will see the diference !!! u can also pull front brakes , if u cant get dwn the clutch , not as drastic but will bring ur front end dwn !!! i remember when i spent wks learning this !!!! good luck !!!

shane071489
04-22-2010, 03:21 PM
well ive had a few nose highs that almost went bad but i always held on and it was alright but we rode last weekend and watched a guy on a dirt bike go nose high and have to bail off so i was just trying to figure it out and it always ran through my mind that if i just hit the brake that it would stall it

slightlybent47
04-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by 133tmf
u can also try and carry more speed into a jump this will automatically even you out more , alot of people are on and off with the throttle and then give it that last braaap before takeoff , if u jus stay on the throttle evenly all the way thru , u will see the diference !!! u can also pull front brakes , if u cant get dwn the clutch , not as drastic but will bring ur front end dwn !!! i remember when i spent wks learning this !!!! good luck !!!

X2 A lot of people do this. and if you scrub the jump it will help keep the front down.
also by staying on the gas evenly it will fly straiter and wont kick out on you as much.

MX MaNiAc 06
04-22-2010, 05:56 PM
I've never mastered this. I'm a big jumper but trust my body mechanics more than the brakes.

Would that maybe save some of my endurance by brake-checking rather than man-handling the bike myself? Not sure if it's worth putting some time into.

ryan243
04-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by 133tmf

I would never ever pull my front brakes in the air. If you slip and don't get off the brakes for some reason when you land, say goodnight

motofreak2772
04-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Its not that hard, just pull it in when you press the brake. Practice just pulling it in first to get comfortable then when your ready hit the brake. You probably won't stall it letting out(its not like on the ground where your tires have rissistence) I don't think your really need to give gas when letting the clutch out as long as you let out smoothly but I gas it a little anyways.
The front brake should only be used if the back isn't efficient enough(which is hardly ever) to really get the front down. You don't want to use them because you can't get the wheels spinning again after braking. Landing with your wheels spinning makes you faster.

133tmf
04-22-2010, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by ryan243
I would never ever pull my front brakes in the air. If you slip and don't get off the brakes for some reason when you land, say goodnight ya its jus like the back brake u dont hold it , tap the rear or grab the front and release ofcourse u wouldnt hold it ? jus sayn alot of people hav a hard time pullin the clutch in the air to brake , so instead of cutn ur motor out in mid air , which is scary been there done it ! u could easily grab a let go of ur front brake and get sum help ! thats all

ryan243
04-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Of course you don't hold it in but things happen, if you get out of shape and forany reason you don't get off the brake you're going over hard, I would much rather try and fail pulling the back brake then fail with the front brake.

MX MaNiAc 06
04-22-2010, 09:51 PM
Of course you don't hold it in but things happen, if you get out of shape and forany reason you don't get off the brake you're going over hard, I would much rather try and fail pulling the back brake then fail with the front brake.

Front braking kinda sucks anyway. It makes it kinda harsh when the front tires hit the landing when they aren't moving. If it's not a smooth landing it isn't worth it.

hondaracer31
04-23-2010, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
Front braking kinda sucks anyway. It makes it kinda harsh when the front tires hit the landing when they aren't moving. If it's not a smooth landing it isn't worth it.

I don't agree, Dan. I use the front brake trick all the time. It works and I can't feel it on landing. If you're a pro or going to be pro, learn the rear brakes. Having the front tires stopped on landing has got to effect lap times some, in the pro ranks split seconds count.
Also, DON'T use the front brakes on a bike! It causes the front end to wash out!
FYI, I don't race but I love big air jumps.

sunco
04-23-2010, 07:02 AM
I would never ever pull my front brakes in the air. If you slip and don't get off the brakes for some reason when you land, say goodnight

I use my front brakes all the time. You just have to get use to how u jump & what the quad does & work it out. Nothing wrong w/ using ur front brake. Whatever u do u are looking to be at the same angle the landing is , thats all. Practice practice practice

MX MaNiAc 06
04-23-2010, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by hondaracer31
I don't agree, Dan. I use the front brake trick all the time. It works and I can't feel it on landing. If you're a pro or going to be pro, learn the rear brakes. Having the front tires stopped on landing has got to effect lap times some, in the pro ranks split seconds count.
Also, DON'T use the front brakes on a bike! It causes the front end to wash out!
FYI, I don't race but I love big air jumps.

It's not the lap times i care about. If i pitch it into a steep smooth landing having the tires stopped don't make a difference. But landing with the back tires first isn't so smooth.

I don't use brakes normally tho, only when im playing around. Does it help with endurance to use brakes instead of throwing it around with my body?

One_Bad_400
04-23-2010, 10:56 AM
The break tapping will help, but i would learn which ones are sending you like that, and i would start playing with body posture. I used to do the break tapping thing, but now i cant even remember the last time i've needed to do that.

or you could start bringing the front end high on purpose, then you'll really learn body posture :D

(some times i enjoy kissing my bumper, it deserves some lovin)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs175.snc1/6569_141803183711_793038711_3341136_4023052_n.jpg

flyboy62
04-23-2010, 11:50 AM
i use the back brakes in the air all the time. i found that using a shorty clutch lever helped me pull the clutch in. with the long ones i would have to take off all my fingers so that would mess me up so i got a shorty clutch

shane071489
04-23-2010, 01:34 PM
a lot of good info this is the thing yeah my favorite part is jumping i go on a track just to jump not to be fast but when something throws me crooked my first thought is to fix it but i never do its like my body doesnt do what my brain tells it ha any help on that one

One_Bad_400
04-23-2010, 01:51 PM
You have to be loose. If it throws you all funny and your arms are locked and your butt is shootin past the grab bar, you cant do anything. If you got your arms bent and your elbows up, with your body riding slightly forward, you have control. if you need to pull the front end up, you can lean back and/or hit the gas. If your front end is going up, your arms are relaxed enough to be able to pull the clutch and tap the breaks, or lean forward.

Find a jump your are very comfortable with, one that throws you consistant, and start seeing how things feel.

I do this alot, if i find a jump that is kind of weird or just super fun. I will hit it over and over again, learning ways to hit it. Then i'll start doing whips, or leaning forward, or seat bouncing. (I wouldnt recoment seat boucing for alot of jumps, only some jumps can be seat bounced. While still in the learning stage, seat bouncing can be sketchy.)

muddy400EX
04-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by One_Bad_400
The break tapping will help, but i would learn which ones are sending you like that, and i would start playing with body posture. I used to do the break tapping thing, but now i cant even remember the last time i've needed to do that.

or you could start bringing the front end high on purpose, then you'll really learn body posture :D

(some times i enjoy kissing my bumper, it deserves some lovin)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs175.snc1/6569_141803183711_793038711_3341136_4023052_n.jpg

do you pull up on the bars right on the take off to do that? and then just throw yourself forward to even it out?

ya if i did that i would prolly do a backflip and land upside down:ermm:

One_Bad_400
04-23-2010, 02:50 PM
ya, pretty much pull up. i've had it strait up and down a few times. but its PRETTY hard to bring back once you get neutral like that.

shane071489
04-23-2010, 07:24 PM
yeah ive hit a big table top ive done perfect before thats thrown me vertical and landing like that is rough on your body