PDA

View Full Version : different starting issues...

mebcop
04-22-2010, 07:26 AM
Ok, now I'm having starting issues with my OTHER ds450....

It will not start the first time, but after you start it once with a charger/booster on 12v/40amps it will start all day...

If it is totally cold, when you push the button it sounds like it has a weak battery. I figured that the battery was bad because it sat in sub-zero temps for two winters, so I put a new battery in it. It didn't change anything. The first time you try to start it, it acts like it isn't decompressing or something. It turns over maybe 2 or 3 times and then stops on the compression stroke. You let off the button and hit it again, and it'll turn over 2 or 3 more times and then stop again on the compression stroke. After doing that a few times, it won't even keep turning over at all. When it does turn over, it turns over pretty slow...

Any suggestions???

mebcop
04-23-2010, 09:03 AM
Guess i'm the only one, huh

florentino
04-23-2010, 10:16 AM
if the bike sat for a long time revoved both spark plugs and spray wd40 and let it set for hours put lots of that.
replace gas and plugs and oil .. also spind the motor with no spark plugs, faster revs better for the oil pump to lubricate all motor. sounds like the rigs are stuck. cause motor sat for a long time no oil at the rigs. i dont know how many hrs on your quad. so if this is the case change the piston rings and do a valve adjustment and put that fuel thing to clean your old gas. just my 2 cents.

TNT
04-23-2010, 09:12 PM
Stuck centrifugal weight or worn spring on auto decompressor, you may need a new exhaust camshaft assembly. Measure the lift on the valve bucket with a dial indicator s/b .0256-.0354 in.

mebcop
04-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Here's a short vid of what it's doing.....

It's a new 2010 motor that can-am put in it.... I have about 4 hours on the motor....

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid149.photobucket.com/albums/s48/mebcop/dsnotstarting.flv">

TNT
04-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Yeah it does sound like it's getting caught up mechanically inside the motor. You may have to pull the head off look at the exhaust cam auto decompressor then pull the cyl and see whats up somewhere.

Have you tried to manually rotate the engine? Set the ignition to off put it in 5th and push the quad or use a hand crank, if it won't turn freely it's the motor or gear box.

Other possibilities are a faulty intermittant start button or wiring, try and jump the starter and solenoid, maybe it's got a bad winding or dead spot the armature is finding and shutting down every rev.