PDA

View Full Version : Strange 450r Carb Problem

riotact
04-22-2010, 07:12 AM
I finally got around to getting my 450r carb hooked up on my ex and am having a hard time jetting it.All of the posts I've read so far have delt with people having problems with them being to lean.The problem I'm having is it is way to rich.My mods are just a full exhaust and open airbox on a stock motor.I plugged the hotstart as suggested and picked up a 170 main and 50 pilot jet with the needle clip in the middle position and the mixture screw 2 turns out.They are Keihn jets and not Dyno jets.The first time it started it would not idle or run unless you opened the throttle some then it would miss a puff out black smoke and spit gas out of the back side of the carb.I changed the pilot jet to a 48 and turned the mixture screw to 1 1/2 turns out with the same results.Next,I put the stock 118 main jet for the 450r carb in,left the mixture screw at 1 1/2 turns out and it started right up and idled decent but it was still way rich and would miss.Today I'm gonna order a 150 main and a 45 pilot and see what happens when they come in.I cant figure out why this thing would be running so rich and figured I'd throw it out to you guys and see what you thought.Thanks in advance.

Also I'm looking for the height of the needle jet holder and main jet.I cant seem to find that spec anywhere and think that might be contributing to the problem.

I also forgot to add that I cleaned the entire carb and blew all passages out with compressed air.

riotact
04-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Well.... it appears I have solved the problem and will have to put it back on tomorrow and give it another shot with the 170m and 50p.Like a dip $hit I forgot to put the needle jet in before I put the holder in and was trying to run it without it :huh Guess thats why it started to run better with the 118 main in.

honda400ex2003
04-22-2010, 11:16 AM
A for effort anyway. That just means you will get that much better at taking it apart and putting it together. At least you got it sorted out. steve

riotact
04-22-2010, 12:18 PM
I guess you'll have that sometimes when you don't pay attention. :D

slightlybent47
04-22-2010, 04:24 PM
I’ve gone from my 202 main back to the 188 and it seems to run better and seems to run cooler that way. I will know better this weekend when I can put some laps down, I can’t run it that hard here in the yard so I’ll have to wait till this weekend.

riotact
04-23-2010, 12:16 PM
I got her running finally last night and it does run pretty good.I'm going to take it to my buddies field and see what its got and probably drop the main to a 168.This mod was definitely worth the money!!