PDA

View Full Version : headlight problem

mineralgrey01gt
04-21-2010, 07:48 PM
My headlights were working fine but my key switch went bad so I just cut the key switch wires, spliced them together to get the bike home. Now I go outside to fool with it and my headlights have an extremely faint glow to them. You have to be right on the headlight to see it. Is one of the black wires a ground in the key switch? If so would that stop the lights from coming on? Im going to order a new key switch but I need the lights for tomorrow night

Muggzy
05-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Hello Mineral Grey,

The way I read the schematic on http://www.dfn.com/benkaren/elecfaq.html The main switch shows the B/W (black/white) connected to the B/R (black/Red) and the Red to the Brwn when the key is On. The B/W becomes B and the B/R becomes R/B on the (harness side) side of the connector. I don't see anything showing either of the black wires grounded *inside* of the switch, and the red and brown wires don't appear to connect to anything.

After the connector, the black wire isn't "grounded" at all in the harness.

You might want to get an ohm meter with a milliohm scale and check the stator coils for the correct resistance measurements. According to the same web page the Lighting coil should be 0.26-0.38 Ohms (black to yellow wire)

Let me know if that helps.

George

mineralgrey01gt
05-03-2010, 07:44 PM
thanks a ton, my only thing is they worked right before the key switch went bad, now they dont so im just picking up another key switch to mount underneath the seat and see if that works. If it doesnt ill follow that and see how it goes. Again thanks for the response

Muggzy
05-03-2010, 08:08 PM
No problem. Hey, your key switch is under the seat? I got mine zip-tied under the radiator cover. Putting it under the seat sounds like a great idea! Got a picture I could see?

mineralgrey01gt
05-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Muggzy
No problem. Hey, your key switch is under the seat? I got mine zip-tied under the radiator cover. Putting it under the seat sounds like a great idea! Got a picture I could see?

I actually dont have the billet aluminum piece to do it yet but it mounts on the rear of your gas tank. Ill show you one on ebay like what im getting but I think cascade might make one so im going through them to get it or just getting a polished one

http://www.jokersracing.com/content-product_info/product_id-4366/yamaha_banshee_hide_a_key_modquad.html