PDA

View Full Version : cheap cam

hjsmith00843
04-21-2010, 08:01 AM
Is this a good deal on this cam. Mostly trail riding.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230462966457&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Gonna soon upgrade to a 10.1 weisco piston, sparks key, and a full exhaust.

Right now everything is stock except with the sparks key. It will be here in a few days. Will I loose bottom end that I had with the stock cam. My head is also getting a mild port job done at the moment.

What jets would be a good starting point. I am at or below sea level.

also when they say I have to remove the ez start are they referring to the little pin and spring that presses onto the factory cam?

monkeydude36020
04-21-2010, 08:19 AM
Hmm. Ide be iffy on that considering it doesnt even have a name brand. But if its anything like a hotcams stage 2 its proved good to me for tail riding. And I gained bottom and top end, in combination with a 11:1 piston.

The spring and dowel will need to be removed. This is part of the decompressor mechanism which aftermarket cams dont have. Its really useless since we have electric start. But good luck roll starting it! I havnt done that sucessfully since ive rebuilt mine. Dont know if its the high comp piston or the cam, but you can pop the clutch in 5th and the wheels will lock up on pavement. Just make sure you have a good battery and you will be fine.

bkelley
04-21-2010, 09:31 AM
It's probably a Magnum cam. ATV Unlimited wouldn't be selling some off brand junk. The Magnums are supposed to be good cams, some guys even prefer them over Hot Cams.

hjsmith00843
04-21-2010, 11:18 AM
I sent him a message asking the brand. It is a magnum cam.

Need to ask a question on my jetting.

My mods will be

weisco 10.1 piston
Sparks Key
Mild Ported head
Stage 2 Cam
Gonna grind the welds out of the stock header
K&n Filter
Topless airbox
Choke removed from carb (have not tried this out yet)

My current jets are
160 and a 38

(what will happen if I take the material out of the stock muffler) noise is not a problem in my area.