PDA

View Full Version : bike shimmey's when riding

hawaiianbasshed
04-21-2010, 12:12 AM
dunno, I'm pretty new to quads but I don't think everyone's bike rides like this as I can't imagine going very fast like that. I mostly noticed it in moderate speeds (didn't go faster as it seemed to get worse)

I'm thinking anti-vibe steering stuff or possibly needs and alignment or something?

picked it up used last night and I love the power (never rode a clutch/sport bike of any type before lol) but I feel like I can't use the power as it kinda has like speed wobbles... my buddy told me that's just how they are and his LTZ400 or whatever the zuki 400 is does it and that's how they are. but I don't believe guys are doing 75+ on streets or even offroading anywhere up higher in speed with a quad that rides like this :confused:

that and possibly getting shocks that're valved for a 135lb monkey would probably help me greatly. I figure I want to do anti vibe steering stuff even a stabilizer possibly. just need to know where to start. scored the bike for $2gs can't wait to ride it but I hope it can be made to roll smoother I ran it offroad and on the street and it does it no matter the terrain kinda. just harder to notice offroad as this isn't like a smooth track it was on a gravel road with lots of depressions and such from rain...

22LTR450
04-21-2010, 03:17 PM
maybe the axle is bent? Where is the "shimmy" coming from? Front or Rear? If the front I would check wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. Make sure there is no play in the steering or the wheels.

kfx400rider03
04-21-2010, 05:38 PM
maybe the rims? mine are bent realy bad but i onlt feel it on the road sence whens it oon the dirt its to bumpy so you dont feel it any way

Drewltr450
04-21-2010, 06:00 PM
yeah check if your axle is bent. The stock suzuki wheels are s*** and bend easily. put the quad up on the grab bar and spin the front tires see if they are straight. Your front spindles could be bent as well. Jack the back of the quad up start it put it in gear and rev it see if the quad shakes. Either one should be your problem. Also check your rear bearing carrier that could be shot also.

hawaiianbasshed
04-21-2010, 08:58 PM
not sure where it was sourcing from front and back I suppose :confused:

front left wheel is definitely a little bent maybe almost a 1/4" I think that's part of it. the right side maybe a little less... if anything I'll get two fronts and see how it goes from there. steering feels tight my kids LT80 had a loose tie rod and you can feel the slop when turning side to side when sitting on it. this one feels tight.

I'll check the rear axle sometime soon. don't wanna rev it with no airfilter. but I can put it on a block and spin it manually.

I was actually thinking of getting the front tires balanced on a tire balancer LOL before I knew it was bent...

will check more things later but the wheel alone probably throws it outta wacked a little bit.