View Full Version : Advice for dad....

Cole's Pop
04-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Hey folks,

My lil' guy is turning four in about a month. He's been "riding" an el-cheapo model Hensim 50cc 4 strk dual a arm quad.

I want to get him something that he can grow into by x-mas time and MAYBE go out and do a little racing by the time he turns 5 (well see).

I live in California where they don't like 2 strokes.

I'd like to get him a DRX 50 but Im not sure if he's the right size. I live in N. California an dhave NO DRX dealers that I can find or know anyone that owns one.

My son is 42" tall with a 14" inseam and weighs about 40 lbs. The Hensim seems to fit him well as far as seat to peg height but he hates the thumb throttle.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Max

hotquads1
04-20-2010, 12:42 PM
my youngest son started riding a DRR 50 at the age of 3 1/2 and was racing arena-cross a month later , they fit the little guys very well. Thumb throttle is tough on the small kids , just takes time and conditioning for them to get used to it .A DRR can be shipped to your door , so no worry if there is not a local dealer , however all DRR's are 2-stroke so better check and make sure you can ride it . I can give you a few names of California DRR riders and racersif you want some local feedback on the product , send me a pm.
marc

TTracer#22
04-20-2010, 12:46 PM
PM sent

Marc I got all my stuff thanks again for all your help

Cole's Pop
04-20-2010, 01:01 PM
Anyone make twist throttles for the DRXs? Is it adviseable to go with a twist for the little guys?

2 stroeks are OK in Cali just not summer friendly as most OHV places wont let you ride from say May to Oct.

THARNESS
04-20-2010, 01:29 PM
My youngest started racing DRR's at age 3. I trimmed some foam out of the seat and installed a twist throttle and he was good to go.

bulldogfallon
04-21-2010, 06:52 AM
We offer the twist throttle kits, but I am not a fan of twist throttles on the kids quads, but some dad's have their preference this way.

THARNESS
04-21-2010, 07:07 AM
As soon as Will got strong enough to use a thumb throttle properly we switched back. But, when he was small I belive the twist was a big advantage because after about a lap I would see him using his palm to push the thumb throttle. He was able to keep it pinned much better with a twist. He also was able to learn to ride a dirtbike before he could learn how to ride a bicycle so he was very used to using a twist.

Cole's Pop
04-21-2010, 12:45 PM
I don't think it a bad idea for anyone to be comfortable with either.

My 2 cents is get the little guy riding for fun. If he wants to get him into racing. I like the program Laz Sommers had for his son. I don't want to force him into anything. Once its not fun anymore for the little guy then he can just playride.

I think the DRX 50 will fit him fine. And it will be a new challenge for me as Ive never worked on CVT type tranny's and I'm rusty on 2 strokes since the last two stroke I owned was in the early 90s!!

Now to find him a used one!!!

04-21-2010, 12:58 PM
If you want a twist throttle go to kx65 on ebay and get one there real cheap.

Cole's Pop
04-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Thanks!!!

Any recommmendations on nerf bars?

04-21-2010, 01:14 PM
How about a set like these? Nice nerfs with a great price,

04-21-2010, 02:07 PM
pm sent

Cole's Pop
04-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Hey folks appreciate all the help!! Im a total novice with these little mini's. I will be asking many questions in the future!!

1lapdown
04-21-2010, 08:53 PM
good advice? get out while you still can. Keep your money and your sanity....

nastynotchback1
04-22-2010, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by 1lapdown
good advice? get out while you still can. Keep your money and your sanity....

WOW best advice here.This sport is a disease.

mydirtkids
04-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Does this mean FIRE-SALE??:devil: Let me know what you have!