PDA

View Full Version : high beams = blowin fuse

scha0786
04-20-2010, 05:47 AM
hello,

I fired my 02' 400ex last night and everything runs and sounds great, but when I went to flip the high beams on the fuse keeps popping. Its only when the high beams get turned on, the low beams everything works fine.

Did a little searching and sounds like its the wiring harness that hooks to the back of the lights. Is this where I should be looking? or is there something else that I should be checking?

Thanks in advance

Muzzgit
04-20-2010, 07:00 AM
We had a similar situation on a freinds 400ex last year, it turned out to be the rear of the headlights actually shorting out against the chassis.

This quad has been crashed and rolled countless times over several years and the mounts for the plastics were bent all out of shape. The headlights were pushed back into the frame.

In the end they disconnected the lights and it will probably stay that way.

scha0786
04-20-2010, 10:29 AM
yeah mine has been crashed and rolled a couple times too, thanks for the tip.

guenther
04-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Common problem on the older models. I had the exact same problem with my '02 a couple weeks ago. I took the bulbs out and put them back in as well as jiggled the wiring around. Wires rubbing is also a cause. I make sure to carry about 5 or 6 fuses with me at all times just in case.

Xplorer99
04-21-2010, 11:08 PM
this same thing happened to me, couple weeks after i bought mine this happened. only i was riding it back home, right before a rain storm and i stalled it in the woods. well i didnt even have the headlights hooked up!!!! the previous owned had it apart and did not put the head light harness in. anyway i turn the key and the fuse would blow. i towed it home in the rain and tore the plastic off and the green conecter that is clipped to the frame, below the headlight in the middle had rubbed all 3 tires bare on the frame

so i would start there. if yours is older i suggest taking the plastic off and re-wrapping the harness in any spots that are not covered with anything

good luck!