PDA

View Full Version : Gearing

11-27-2001, 12:02 PM
I am confused. Everyone i know went to a 14 tooth counter sprocket? Just to be different i ran a 16 tooth counter. Why dont more people do this. now i pull away from them on top and launch just as hard as they do from the hole? Am i missing something. Just currious. would i be even faster with a 14 tooth. i still use the stock 38 tooth rear and so do they. just wondering....

2001 400ex, K&N filter and jet kit, pro circuit t-4.

Guy400
11-27-2001, 01:09 PM
Probably your launching technique plays more of a roll in why you can still holeshot them because the gearing gives them a decided edge. Also, I doubt you have the problem with front end lift like they've got. That seriously hinders how hard you can launch the bike. I know that when I was running the stock 13 tooth on my Raptor and my friend and I would race (he bought a '01 Shee the same day as me) that I would holeshot him by about 1/2 a bike and then accelerate away until I ran out of gear and he grabbed 6th. Now that I've gone to the 12 tooth I can just embarrass him on the start and can hold him off to the top of 4th/bottom of 5th and then he pulls by me (he's also got T-5's and filter and I'm still stock).