PDA

View Full Version : Titles..

Atreyu
01-29-2003, 08:43 AM
Anybody know anything about titles? If you get caught on a quad that has no title do you get in trouble or does the person you bought it from? And is there any way that you can get a title if you dont have one?Thanks

sportraxrider10
01-29-2003, 08:47 AM
my suggestion is never buy a four wheeler without a title, MOST of the time that four wheeler is stolen:o

JLanphear
01-29-2003, 11:52 AM
Depends on the state....check your local laws. If you are thinking of buying one ALWAYS get your VIN# verified BEFORE you buy it.

My Banshee is gone and probably is never coming back because it was stolen somewhere down the line. In Vermont you don't need titles for quads, sleds, and other offroad vehicles, so I never had one and didn't expect to have one. I bought it from a guy and got a bill of sale for it and even registered it without a problem. I was pulled over one day with a couple other members from this forum and my VIN# was checked and came back stolen. The cops took my quad and I haven't seen it since. It's now up to me to persue the rest of the case...either by going after the guy I bought it from, or other means.

Come to find out the original owner of the quad only made a couple of payments on it and when the bank came to repo it he reported it stolen. He didn't pay any more payments on it, and when the heat wore off he took the quad and sold it and I eventually got a hold of it. That sounds like an idiotic plan but he has gotten away with it so far and I'm the one losing out.

So the moral of the story is check on these details (and get them in writing) before you buy anything.

-Josh

lil400exman
01-29-2003, 12:16 PM
most old fourwheelers like tectates and 250r's and stuff dont have them i am getting a title this week for my r......................

bakerboyz
01-29-2003, 12:42 PM
Honda issues a certificate of origin, not a title. This will be in the name of the original owner.

If you read the certificate, it can only be transferred by a dealer, not an individual.

Whenever you buy a used quad you should (1) verify the VIN unless you're shure it's not stolen. (2) get the certificate of origin if available. and (3) get a hand written or typed "notorized bill of sale" from the one you're buying it from. As is says, this must be notorized and say that the seller has legal ownership and the write to sell the Quad. Type it yourself if you need to. You will most likely need this to register it.

jlanphere. I'm surprized the Motor Vehicle didn't pick up that the quad was stolen when you registered it. Sad story.

Good luck

JLanphear
01-29-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by bakerboyz
jlanphere. I'm surprized the Motor Vehicle didn't pick up that the quad was stolen when you registered it. Sad story.

Good luck

I was shocked when it happend and figured it was some sort of mistake...I explained to the officer that it was registered (unfortunatly my plate was in my truck about 1/4 mile away). He said that it's coming back as stolen and there is NO WAY that it can be registered if it is coming back stolen. I told him that I could get him the plate if needed, even though I knew he could get all the info on it without the plate #. We got to the station and he said that there were some "discrepencies" and he thought the case may have been left open by mistake, but he held the quad anyway. A few days later I was told that the case was still open and that the quad was deffinatly stolen...when I asked about the registration deal he told me that I had written the VIN# wrong on the reg. application. Since I didn't have the quad with me to confirm, I believed him and didn't question it. After a few weeks with the case not going in my favor I started asking questions. I got a copy of my registration issued by the state and I called an officer and had him read the VIN# off my Banshee. He read it and it matched what I had written on the registration...When I asked that officer (a different one that I had talked to in the first place) he said that they DO NOT verify VIN#'s when vehicles are registered...I told him that I could believe that, and he said that it was true. After I got off of the phone with him I still couldn't believe it so I called the DMV directly and they said that he was wrong and they check EACH AND EVERY VIN# that comes through them. They still had no answer to why mine made it through fine even though it was stolen. Things weren't adding up, but after talking to several officers and their superiors I still got nowhere...the way the law works is crazy sometimes.

-Josh

joeroadking
01-29-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by honda300ex06
my suggestion is never buy a four wheeler without a title, MOST of the time that four wheeler is stolen:o
Maybe in Ohio but in MA,NH,Maine all you need is a bill of sale , and it is perfectly legal check with your state, also as a precaution I always get the drivers liscense info ,address etc , bought at least 25 atvs this way with no problems what so ever!

bakerboyz
01-29-2003, 04:36 PM
New Jersey does not issue a title for quads either. A notorized bill of sale is all that is required. (as long as it's not stolen.)