PDA

View Full Version : HIDs

monkeydude36020
04-19-2010, 04:32 PM
Has anyone attempted HID headlights on quad or mx bike? In particularly a 400ex? I have been wanting to do do this for some time. I have been looking into some waterproof kits in 3000k which would look awesom on my yellow 400. But My concern is the factory wiring and weather the electrical system puts out enough power to ignite them. From what I understand HIDs use less power while running but draw a large amount when you fire them up just for a moment. What do you guys think about this?

clemsonteg
04-19-2010, 05:33 PM
This thread talks about HIDS some http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=419864&highlight=lights

And the draw from the initial fire up can be taken care of with a relay pulling directly from the battery triggered with the light switch and a fuse. DDM tuning has some kits for a decent price with good feedback from what I have read.

big_poppa49
04-19-2010, 06:16 PM
I see just fine with my stock lights. If you want a more whiteish look, then I would just get some hyper white bulbs. I seen some on Rocky Mtn. for not a bad price. I have considered getting a pair, just for the sake of getting rid of the yellowish look.

As far as being able to see better with the whiter lights is very doubtful, I put a pair of those blue looking bulbs in my truck and I couldn't see near as good as I did with my factory clear bulbs. I took that crap out! went back to the clear bulbs

monkeydude36020
04-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by big_poppa49
I see just fine with my stock lights. If you want a more whiteish look, then I would just get some hyper white bulbs. I seen some on Rocky Mtn. for not a bad price. I have considered getting a pair, just for the sake of getting rid of the yellowish look.

As far as being able to see better with the whiter lights is very doubtful, I put a pair of those blue looking bulbs in my truck and I couldn't see near as good as I did with my factory clear bulbs. I took that crap out! went back to the clear bulbs

You didnt read well... I want 3000k HIDs. 3000k is completely yellow. I dont want blue or white light. And I mostly want it to look cool more than to see good as I mostly ride in the day anyway.

mtrombla08
04-19-2010, 07:27 PM
i put some ddm tuning HID's on my 05 400. I bought the 6000k for the whiter look. They were very easy to install and dont require a relay. The hardest part is finding a good solid place to mount the ballast. If you have any mechanical ability you can put these in in less than and hour. My buddies on all different bikes have the same lights and we couldnt be happier. DDMTuning.com

CJM
04-19-2010, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by mtrombla08
i put some ddm tuning HID's on my 05 400. I bought the 6000k for the whiter look. They were very easy to install and dont require a relay. The hardest part is finding a good solid place to mount the ballast. If you have any mechanical ability you can put these in in less than and hour. My buddies on all different bikes have the same lights and we couldnt be happier. DDMTuning.com

Which kit did you use, b/c all my research points to losing the hi/lo function due to the bulb type.

clemsonteg
04-19-2010, 08:11 PM
you do lose the hi lo function, but I imagine the lights are much brighter without really the need for the hi lo function.

CJM
04-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by clemsonteg
you do lose the hi lo function, but I imagine the lights are much brighter without really the need for the hi lo function.

Thats what I thought.

clemsonteg
04-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Thats what I thought.

Thats what I got from DDM tuning when I emailed them.

CJM
04-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by clemsonteg
Thats what I got from DDM tuning when I emailed them.

They said the same thing to me awhile back, imho I like the hi/lo function.

mtrombla08
04-19-2010, 08:18 PM
yes i did loose hi/lo. But once you put the hids on you wont need hi/lo. they are very bright. well the 6k are, i dont know how the 3k would be.

big_poppa49
04-19-2010, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by monkeydude36020
You didnt read well... I want 3000k HIDs. 3000k is completely yellow. I dont want blue or white light. And I mostly want it to look cool more than to see good as I mostly ride in the day anyway.

oops, your right, I mis-read that, my bad.

ballerchaos
04-30-2010, 10:36 AM
I actually have HIDs on my 08 400ex, and there sexy as hell. Easy as hell to install, just pull ur head light, then the hood with the 4 clips and mount the SLIM ballast to the frame with zip ties, then mount the ignightors the same way. then install the bulbs, you need h6m bulbs, i used 10000k, but its easy as hell. you need to make or buy a relay harness though to intall against your oem switch and your battery, type in HID harness on ebay and just buy one of them. You just give it power off the battery, hook ballast up to the harness with the connectors, and hard wire with butt connectors the switch to your oem switch. you will loose your high beam, but from my experiance you dont need it.

ballerchaos
04-30-2010, 10:37 AM
I actually have HIDs on my 08 400ex, I used XENTEC just like whats in my car, slim HID kit that cost 50 bux with Bulbs and there sexy as hell. Easy as hell to install, just pull ur head light, then the hood with the 4 clips and mount the SLIM ballast to the frame with zip ties, then mount the ignightors the same way. then install the bulbs, you need h6m bulbs, i used 10000k, but its easy as hell. you need to make or buy a relay harness though to intall against your oem switch and your battery, type in HID harness on ebay and just buy one of them. You just give it power off the battery, hook ballast up to the harness with the connectors, and hard wire with butt connectors the switch to your oem switch. you will loose your high beam, but from my experiance you dont need it. oh YEAH, they offer all colors from 3000k all the way to 20000k and they take about 3 days to get to you, if you want more info pm me

supraloud84
05-01-2010, 05:39 AM
You dont necessarily have to lose the hi lo function. There are kits that actully adjust the angle of the bulb in the housing for the high beam setting. They are actully really nice. Ive in stalled quite a few of them in customers cars. Also, if you are fairly savvy with wiring you can set up a normal hid kit to work like a sport bike setup where one bulb is on for low beam and both of them for the high beam. That is how i set mine up before they came out with the hi lo kits. As for the 3000k. They will actually give you more usable light output then say 8000k or 10000k bulbs. I have 6000k bulbs in my machine cause thats what i had kicking around the shop at the time. There is definately no halogen bulb that can even come close to the light output you will get from the hid kit

99400esex
05-01-2010, 05:45 AM
I have 10000k hids in my truck. Im curious to see what these look like in a 400 ex

ballerchaos
05-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by supraloud84
You dont necessarily have to lose the hi lo function. There are kits that actully adjust the angle of the bulb in the housing for the high beam setting. They are actully really nice. Ive in stalled quite a few of them in customers cars. Also, if you are fairly savvy with wiring you can set up a normal hid kit to work like a sport bike setup where one bulb is on for low beam and both of them for the high beam. That is how i set mine up before they came out with the hi lo kits. As for the 3000k. They will actually give you more usable light output then say 8000k or 10000k bulbs. I have 6000k bulbs in my machine cause thats what i had kicking around the shop at the time. There is definately no halogen bulb that can even come close to the light output you will get from the hid kit
actually it i couldt find the telescoping type your talking about that will fit the stock houseing, i actually went out last night and i love my hids, 3000k i saw today in the pits, and they looked sexy, if i was maken a race quad i would go with red or green