PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what cam to pick.

hjsmith00843
04-19-2010, 08:01 AM
Mostly trail riding nothing every really hard. Sometimes some top speed runs nothing too crazy.

Everything appears to be stock and in good condition. Exhaust is stock.

What cam is a good replacement for the current stock cam that I already have. I want it to be reliable and hopefully not have too many problems out of it.

I am also going to install a sparks key with it at the same time.

The timing chain seems to be in great shape but I may go ahead and replace it. (not sure yet)

Also when reccomending the cam please let me know what is a good set of jets to start out with. I am at or below sea level.

This winter I may change the bore to a 416 or something around that nature. It is going to be a on-going project.

Also what does grinding the stock welds on a factory exhaust do. Is it worth it?

rob_990
04-19-2010, 02:09 PM
id get an exhaust first then start doing motor mods if i were u. but if you really want to get a cam i recommend hot cams stage 2 if you plan on rebuilding your motor at all in the future.if not just stick with stage 1. you dont have to run without a lid either.i run mine most the time.if your going to replace the timing chain get a crf 450 one.there cheaper and alot stronger than the 400ex one.you might want to replace you head gasket with a xr400 one to because with the cam youll loose a little compression and that will bring it up some.grinding the header welds really wont do anything for you because it will still be restricted at the end unless you get a slip on or modify your stock one