PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong?? Bearing carrier question.

Honda4ooEX
01-28-2003, 11:22 PM
I recently had to replace my axle and carrier because the stock bearings went out and chewed up the carrier and bearing surfaces on the axle. So I got a new stock axle and a Durablue twin row carrier. I installed the o-rings on the new carrier, greased the new bearings, slide the carrier into the swing arm working left to right. Slide the new axle into the left side of the carrier and out the right side, tapped the left side of the axle to make sure it was in all the way, it was and I then turned everything by hand to make sure it would spin nice and smooth and it does, then I slid the disc brake mount and rotor onto the right side and engaged it into the splines on the axle, then load the axle lock nut onto the right side and tightened it so I could install the locking snap ring, then tightened up the small lock nut over the snap ring, then tightened the larger nut up to the smaller one. Now, nothing moves at all. Its like I got the brake on, but I don't because the caliper is off. I loosened up the lock nuts because I thought I had them too tight, I then tightened them up by hand without using the big wrenches, as soon as the start to tighten up, I can't spin the axle no more. Is it just that the twin row durablue carrier spins really hard? Anyone have any ideas? Did I miss something? Any help would be great thanks.

ChadEXer
01-29-2003, 10:41 AM
Are you sure your axle went in all they way??? I had to beat the heck out of mine to get in all the way in there!

Extremeracer167
01-29-2003, 10:45 AM
Maybe u put too much grease in it? That often makes it hard to turn, or push in all the way like Chad said. I cant see the grease thing making it that hard htough. ide check the brake hub to make sure there isnt any spurs or anything sticking out causing it to tangle up with the seal. Try that stuff and let us know!

Honda4ooEX
01-29-2003, 01:53 PM
chad, I am pretty sure it is in all the way, the axle is used it is off a 02 400EX, so you can see where the bearing rides. That visable part goes all the way into the carrier. I don't see how it could go in any farther because the sprocket mount is right there and it doesn't look like it would go in any farther. I did however lightly tap it on the left side to seat it in. I did not pound the heck out of it like you are saying you had to do. Maybe that is the problem, I will look at it and see if it might go in more. I didn't use a whole lot of grease I don't think that is the problem. Thanks for your help guys anymore ideas? Thanks again

luvmyex
01-29-2003, 01:55 PM
you might have the axle lock nut too tight.I had the same probalem with mine.It was real tight so i loosened the lock nut just a little.It was still tight but after about 1hr of riding it was fine.Spins easy now.

smith
01-29-2003, 02:00 PM
There is a VERY good chance that the spacer tube between the bearings is a touch too short. This causes a lot of side load on the bearings when you tighten up the lock-nut, making them turn hard or "lock up". It's just one of the drawbacks with many on the companies in this industry that do not produce quality products!!!

Honda4ooEX
01-29-2003, 05:38 PM
this is a durablue carrier. I thought durablue was suppose to be of better qualitiy then others. What might one do if the spacer tube is too short? It sure seems odd to me. I am afraid to ride on it when its hard to turn because I don't want to melt my clutch plates.

Braff1
01-30-2003, 05:35 AM
I just got my RAD dual row carrier and it says to only apply 30 ft. lbs of pressure for the axle lock nut ( the outter nut) then torque the inner locking nut to I think 80 ft. lbs. Be sure to also use locktite on the threads.

Dan

Predator36
01-30-2003, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by smith
There is a VERY good chance that the spacer tube between the bearings is a touch too short. This causes a lot of side load on the bearings when you tighten up the lock-nut, making them turn hard or "lock up". It's just one of the drawbacks with many on the companies in this industry that do not produce quality products!!!

I have seen this problem on several carriers. Also, many of the companies do not harden the center sleeve and they crush to a shorter length if the axle nut is tightened to tight or just from normal riding. One solution I have found with out buying new parts is to only tighten the axle nut hand tight, then tape it to the axle with electrical tape. Aftermarket part quality in this industry is frustrating.