PDA

View Full Version : Apex air box

RapKor
04-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Anyone tried the Apex air box on a DRR. There is a guy who swears that he tried it and it worked. From everything I have read the box will not work on the DRR. Can anyone verify that it will or won't work, I am thinking of picking one up as we had a lot of trouble with water ingestion.

greenmachine70
04-18-2010, 08:28 PM
the guys who have them are taking them off for MX. Assuming they are having jetting issues

mmsoup
04-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Motor is the same

Intake will work fine

Runs great with stock set up

24 PWK 115 - 120 main depending on atmosphere

We DO NOT run the set up in the dry because we can make more power with a straight intake

We run it in wet races

GNCC and Mid East series XC

dblacks
04-19-2010, 04:53 AM
with the slight differences in the frame of a drr i am not sure that when the box is mounted that it will line up with the intake and carb correctly.

bulldogfallon
04-23-2010, 06:58 AM
The air box can give you a bobble/hesitation on the bottom end if your mod the engine, so for MX we take the box off.

Now if it is muddy or raining we will deal with the slight bobble on the bottom to keep the filter safe.

jvlavl
04-28-2010, 10:16 PM
I had one mounted up on a 2008 90. it worked great. i had no jetting issues with non modded motor. i was impressed.

RapKor
04-29-2010, 04:08 PM
What carb did you use? Did you need a 90 degree throttle cable? Thanks

jvlavl
04-29-2010, 06:27 PM
i have the stock carb that comes on LC drr 2008 90. i think its a 24mm powershot style. it would be great if i had a 90 degree cable, but it worked ok with stock cable. i guess it go without saying that it will only work without the starter in place.

RapKor
04-29-2010, 07:10 PM
Ok I have the 24 Keihin carb, it does not fit in the rubber mount that comes with the intake what did you use to mount the carb? What did you run for jetting?Do you have any pics of the install?That would be really helpful. Any help is greatly appreciated.

FISH ON!
04-30-2010, 01:23 PM
The reverse intake is definitely harder to tune. You kind of have to forget what you do with the traditonal intake. Ours is on a Mod'd Apex and once we got it right, we haven't had to make any adjustments at all. Getting rid of that last little hesitation Gary talked about was a challenge....... not really sure how we got it to go away. Five races into the GNCC season in all kinds of conditions and haven't touched the motor except to freshen the CVT. Compression hasn't even dropped......... made me check the gauge this last time....all good!

RapKor
04-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Ok getting close, got the intake on, used a piece of radiator hose and fabricated my own "boot" to mount the carb to the intake, my big problem now is tring to find an air filter that will fit my carb (keihin 24 PE) the stock Apex paper filter is too large and my Uni filters neck is just too short it will pass thru the box but not enough to put a clamp on. Anyone have any ideas what kinda filter I can use????????????? Part # would be GREAT. Has anyone done this on a DRR? I would appreciate any help you could give, I would love to buy a 28mm PWK carb but my budget just won't allow it (paying for 2 bikes out of pocket) Like I said would appreciate any ideas Thanks

FISH ON!
04-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Post a good PIC and somebody should be able to hook you up.

jetta75
04-30-2010, 11:49 PM
I have this clamped onto my 24mm PE K&N part # RU-0400. The neck may be like your Uni though. Check their website to get dimensions to see if it will work for you.

jvlavl
05-01-2010, 01:40 PM
can you use some of the rad hose to make a coupler for the back of the carb? just enough to clamp on the carb on one end and a sleeve on the other. you could use a piece of one of the drr snorle tubes to make a sleeve to get to a smaller uni pod in the box. sounds more like a plumbing project, but it could work.

mmsoup
05-01-2010, 04:32 PM
These filters are available from West Coast Quads or call Gary at G-Force and he will place the order for you.

mmsoup
05-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Sorry, I deleted part of the last post. The Apex K&N style filter has an angled boot for use with the airbox. Still not a lot of fun to mount but it is designed for the project you are working on.

RapKor
05-01-2010, 08:57 PM
OK got it all in, I have the Apex filter but it does bot fit on my carb, so I tried the UNI could not get enough of the neck thru the box to get a clamp on, so I took the rubber gasket that fits around the filter hole out which gave me an xtra 1/4" of the filter neck to clamp to, seems to be just fine, there does not seem to be any gap around the hole in the air box and the filter, I think it is going to work! Pretty late to start it tonight so I will try it tomorrow, Now time to start playing with the jetting. Any suggestions? Thanks guys!

RapKor
05-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Any thoughts on jetting?

RapKor
05-04-2010, 07:02 PM
No ideas on where to start with my jetting? Come on guys some of you tunning guru's must have an idea! I would really appreciate the help! Thanks

FISH ON!
05-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by RapKor
No ideas on where to start with my jetting? Come on guys some of you tunning guru's must have an idea! I would really appreciate the help! Thanks

I'm no tuning guru but I've fought the reveres intake tuning battle. Don't know if you are ported or have a perf pipe and both will make a diff of course. Also my numbers are with a PWK and high compression head.

mmsoup answered earlier and is on target for what the APEX jetting is ....... 115-120 main, 42-45 pilot. Don't let the 45 pilot scare you.

RapKor
05-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Kool KIdz port job on the motor, stock pipe, jetting now is a 122 main and a 55 pilot, I appreciate the info, appears I am pretty close.
Fish on what throttle cable did you use? I will need to change to the 90 degree but I was told I would need to buy an Apex bilit throttle. Does anyone know if this is true? Anyone know if there is a difference between the DRR and Apex throttles???? Thanks guys!

FISH ON!
05-04-2010, 08:11 PM
definitely need the 90 bend. I have the stock Apex throttle and cable..........no issues. we're on an Apex.

RapKor
05-15-2010, 08:11 AM
I installed a reverse intake and air box on my sons 09 DRR 90. I was able to make the nessicary modifications to fit the set up in the bike however I can not seem to get it jetted. Motor has been ported by Kool Kidz and we are running a Keihin PE 24 carb. Current jetting is a 125 main with a 38 pilot, seemed to run great with a 125 main and 44 pilot but we did the initial testing without the fenders and seat on , as soon as I put the fenders and seat on the machine had really strong bog off the bottom, went down to a 42 and 40 pilot (seperate tests) and the bog got less tried a 38 pilot and motor sounds good bog is still there but is much better, however now the plug reads lean ( grey read was cardboard brown) I did the plug read after several short 40 yard practice starts(no top end runs) This leads me to believe that it is a hair lean on the bottom my problem is it runs so crappy with the 40 pilot that I do not want to run it, altough after 30 feet the machine runs really strong. I would really appreciate any help you guys with this set up can give me I am pulling my hair out! Can I clutch around the bog? Running Malossi clutch with 4.25 and 5.00 gram staggered rollers, red malossi clutch springs and a 1500 ZTR spring!PLEASE Help!!!!Thanks