PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding TDC for valve check

jboz5786
04-18-2010, 12:59 PM
I was wondering if someone can help me figure out Top Dead Center so i can do a valve adjustment. I tried looking in the manual doesn't say. Thanks

witech
04-18-2010, 03:32 PM
I did a 450 ktm last year and the tdc bolt was in the right front of the crankcase. You could look in and see the notches cut in the counterwieght of the crank. I think you take the spacer off the bolt and thread the bolt in all the way or make your own bolt if it doesnt have a spacer. It was an 06 sm450 motard.

jboz5786
04-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the help ill take a look and see if that works.

KTM RIDAA
04-22-2010, 05:15 PM
check for a video on you tube for the ktm rfs motor also check on ktmatvhq.com the best website for ktm qauds i just did mine this weekend.

good luck

polaris bob
06-29-2010, 10:07 AM
There is no need to put the motor at TDC to do the valves. Look on you tube for the adjustment video..........

You set the intakes when the exhaust valves are opening and you set the exhausts when the intake valves are opening.

You do not even need to use a feeler gauge, Just do the 1/6 turn method. Works great every time.

kamyk
07-01-2010, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by polaris bob
There is no need to put the motor at TDC to do the valves. Look on you tube for the adjustment video..........

You set the intakes when the exhaust valves are opening and you set the exhausts when the intake valves are opening.

You do not even need to use a feeler gauge, Just do the 1/6 turn method. Works great every time.

What do you mean by 1/6 turn ??

polaris bob
07-02-2010, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by kamyk
What do you mean by 1/6 turn ??

If you watch any of the vid's on-line it is shown very clearly.

Basically you loosen the lock nut, turn the adjusting screw in till it just touches the valve stem and then align the locking nut so that one of the 6 points on the nut aligns with the slot in the adjusting screw. You then turn out the adjusting screw one point, or 1/6 of one turn. The 1/6 turn method works out to be the exact same clearance as trying to use a feeler gauge and is way faster.

It takes longer to read this explanation than it does to actually do the adjustment.