PDA

View Full Version : sheared timing key

colesdaddy02
04-18-2010, 09:54 AM
any body here ever sheared the sparks timing key right off. i did friday when i was riding a wheelie and stood it on the grab bar and stalled out, when it came down i pop the clutch to start it and it went dead. hit the starter button and nothing but spin. I pulled the flywheel cover off and sure- nuff sheared off. I just ordered another one this morning. Thought i,d share my story.

Wheelie
04-18-2010, 12:53 PM
The only time a flywheel key or timing key will shear is when it is installed improperly.

Pipeless416
04-18-2010, 01:40 PM
i have a sparks key that i don't use anymore if you're interested.. $15 shipped?

MidnightBlade
04-18-2010, 01:42 PM
and this is why i said not to get a timing advance key. tisk tisk

Pipeless416
04-18-2010, 02:37 PM
there is absolutely nothing wrong with running the sparks key. so much misinformation being spread on this site lately. :rolleyes:

hjsmith00843
04-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
i have a sparks key that i don't use anymore if you're interested.. $15 shipped?

sent you a pm about the key.

Wheelie
04-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by MidnightBlade
and this is why i said not to get a timing advance key. tisk tisk

Educate yourself before you reply.

A flywheel key is there only to make sure an engine is in time, it does not hold the flywheel in place after the flywheel is torqued--the taper seat does this.

Theoretically one could install a flywheel without a flywheel key at all and not have any issues--if the flywheel is installed correctly. I wouldn't recommend doing this, just trying to make a point.

MidnightBlade
04-18-2010, 04:32 PM
ok oops i havent been into my quad yet but on my dads 1973 yamaha dt360A there isnt a tapered haft there is just a shaft and locknut with the key holding it there. like i said havent had the ole 400 apart yet to look at one. i may just get a key then instead of a $230 ignition box

colesdaddy02
04-18-2010, 04:45 PM
I wish that i knew u had one but already ordered another one.Anyone know how to prevent this from happening again.

Wheelie
04-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by colesdaddy02
I wish that i knew u had one but already ordered another one.Anyone know how to prevent this from happening again.

Torque the flywheel down properly. Make sure the taper on the crank and inside the flywheel are clean. Use something to clean them that cuts oil and evaporates without leaving any oily residue that could cause the flywheel not to seat properly. Carb and Choke cleaner works great for this.

CJM
04-18-2010, 05:04 PM
You want to use brakecleen, it leaves no oily residue like carb cleaner does.

Not a big deal, but carb cleaner does leave a slightly oily residue.

Wheelie
04-18-2010, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by CJM
You want to use brakecleen, it leaves no oily residue like carb cleaner does.

Not a big deal, but carb cleaner does leave a slightly oily residue.

Thanks for the correction. I've used Carb and Choke cleaner several times personally without issue. I'll try brake clean next time.