PDA

View Full Version : 460 stroker stock carb jetting

78ta
04-18-2010, 01:51 AM
anybody running a 460 stroker with a stock carb? I need jetting ballpark starting point.

I know everybody's set up is different....and mine is very different lol.

460, flat top, hot cam stage 1, ported head, +1mm kb valves, lightened flywheel, stock carb, and still gonna run a airbox lid, stock ported header, hmf with sparky. I built it this way to be a torque monster, I only trail ride it and in muddy conditions so the sparky and airbox lid gotta stay lol.

just tryin to save a little time, I was thinking about starting with a k175 and a 42 pilot.

opinions?

and I'm not changing this motor setup I know there is a ton of power choked off with the cam, header, carb, and lid...still wanna try it like this first.

jcs003
04-18-2010, 02:41 AM
that carb is too small. get a lectron.

dalejiw25
04-18-2010, 03:51 AM
I've got a 440 stroker. Yours is prolly close to mine with the air box lid on and that restrictive pipe. I'd start around 195/42 This main may be a little big but always better to be a little on the rich side to start.You might even wanna try a 45 pilot JMO, That's a huge motor. It almost seems a shame to not let that beast breath. Have fun and Good luck.

odog
04-18-2010, 09:46 AM
your killing that motor with that setup trust me.it needs to breath i know you said your not changing anything but even with it being a 460 it will not be to much stronger than what it was before u switched to a 460 if you dont let it breath.a engine is only as good as the parts thats working with it.

odog
04-18-2010, 09:48 AM
i think i used a 178 and 42

dalejiw25
04-18-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm pretty sure that killing a 460 Stroker by suffocation is Illegal in most States. Think about what you're doing man.... Just tryin to help a brother out.

78ta
04-18-2010, 08:16 PM
I'm also doin it this way because I'm poor now lol. I'm gonna try it with the stock carb, when I gets some more money...its gonna get a bigger carb.

The stock carb is not too small for my goals, I really don't care how much hp it makes, I only care about the torque curve. The stock carb and header will keep air velocity up and the carb will get a strong pull in the bottom and midrange and it will pull hard and rev fast. The stock carb will choke it off on the top end, but that is not what I'm going for. If you rode where I ride you would understand.

If I wanted top end HP I would be building a 450r right now instead.

This isn't my first engine build...and I like to think outside of the box a bit.

I have other bikes when I'm in the mood to go fast LOL

ngates788
04-18-2010, 10:02 PM
I'm running a dj 170 main, the stock keihn 38 pilot, and the needle in the 4th from the top. I'm running open air box. It was tuned using an O2 sensor and has been running great for me for about a year now. Good luck!

odog
04-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by 78ta
I'm also doin it this way because I'm poor now lol. I'm gonna try it with the stock carb, when I gets some more money...its gonna get a bigger carb.

The stock carb is not too small for my goals, I really don't care how much hp it makes, I only care about the torque curve. The stock carb and header will keep air velocity up and the carb will get a strong pull in the bottom and midrange and it will pull hard and rev fast. The stock carb will choke it off on the top end, but that is not what I'm going for. If you rode where I ride you would understand.

If I wanted top end HP I would be building a 450r right now instead.

This isn't my first engine build...and I like to think outside of the box a bit.

I have other bikes when I'm in the mood to go fast LOL if its a money issue than thats understandable but if you are concerned that you will lose torque you wont if u get a 39mm fcr carb.you will gain all through the powerband.

78ta
04-19-2010, 08:04 PM
I agree these stock carbs leave a lot to be desired. An fcr will work great, but i wanna try the stocker first, then when I get some money I will buy a better carb.

Now that I said that, the point I was making is that it staying with a smaller carb (not really talking about the stocker, the stock ex carb is not a great design) will help create a strong vacuum signal at the carb and it will in turn be snappier, rev faster, and make more power from the bottom through the midrange. It will fall short of a big carb on top....but thats not what I'm looking for.

This can be seen proven with dyno graphs from engines of all makes, shapes and sizes. I have experienced it first hand many times on SBC's.

I'm not arguing with you odog, and I do appreciate the input. Thanks for your time in replying.

Thanks everybody else for replying with their stroker motors and jetting specs!

I think I have a good idea for starting point. I will post up after tuned in on the stocker and after I get a bigger carb!