PDA

View Full Version : Ran great a week ago now nothing

55stone
04-16-2010, 03:34 PM
Hey guys went home to ride the 400 and went to start it and nothing happened cranked till the battery went dead. I messed with it along the way to not just cranking without changing anything. Anywyas it's getting good spark and I know it's getting gas plug was covered in it when I pulled it to check spark. So pulled carb cleaned it all and went to a small pilot jet a 42 was in it and now it's a 40.. Put everything together and stil nothing. It has good compression too .. new piston probably only has 5 hours on it.. I'm stumped because it ran gret last weekend fired up 3 cranks now can't get anything. Thought it was a carb issue since plug had gas on it but pulled all jets out and blew them out and pulled the needle out to pls give me some ideas to check

NMills
04-16-2010, 05:08 PM
Piston was just replaced??? Did you have the valves serviced?? what about the timing?? or the timing chain itself???

55stone
04-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Ya head and valves are new.. Timing is spot on. Timing wouldn't have changed while it was just sitting in the garage.. But I guess I could pull the head again and check the cam chain.. It ran great for 2 months (didn't ride much) but ran great for that long then nothing . Could I have sheared the key? Or would I not have spark if that happened

NMills
04-16-2010, 06:09 PM
remove the spark plug and Squirt a bit of starting fluid down the spark plug hole... replace the plug and try to start.. see if it fires off that before you tear it apart...

55stone
04-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Good call lol didn't even thnk of that lol. That will tell me if it's timing or anything like that.. I still think it's something to do with jettng for some reason.. But I will definantly try the starting fluid trick.. Been so long since I have had to do that lol

NMills
04-16-2010, 06:29 PM
The only reason why i say use the starting fluid is that it may help with diagnostics... my buddies dirtbike died on me once... could not figure it out... thought maybe the plug was dirty.... cleaned it... and then kicked it.. and because the cleaner was still on the plug... it'd fire for a moment then die... come to find out the plugs spark was not strong enough to keep it goin... and then the other week on my cousins dirt bike we'd put the starting fluid in it... and nothing.. at all... he did take the side cove off and found the timing chain was wayyy to loose... not sure if that was his problem.. but it was still a problem.. but if you get no reaction from the fluid... i'd start to look into more serious issue... stuck valves... blocked passages...

55stone
04-16-2010, 06:39 PM
Ya was just hoping for a easy fix bit I will just start tearing into her after the starter fluid test..was just hoping something easy this thing has been hardcore issues since I bought it trashed haha wait i get for 275 bucks lol bit it's still worth it still cheaper than buying one used

55stone
04-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Any other ideas would be great too lol

vaget22
04-16-2010, 07:16 PM
If you have a timing light, you can check the timing. Also, is there a chance you left a rag or something in the intake boot when you had the carb off to clean it. Not that I've ever done such a thing. ;)

slightlybent47
04-16-2010, 07:37 PM
NMills is right, Just because there is a spark doesn’t mean the plug is good. And check the coil also, it may be week and not giving a hot enough spark.

Check the kill switch on the bars; it may be off. And check your tether switch also.

How about the reverse switch, mine wont start in reverse, maybe that switch be bad? Or could be the switch that keeps it from starting with the clutch pulled in or in gear.

MidnightBlade
04-16-2010, 07:53 PM
i agree with SB47 on the coil and cdi box. air is an insulator so when you compress it it insulates more, the more it is compressed in the cylinder the more there is between the gap of the plug. make the plug gap half the size it is now and see if it backfires or anything. or take the coil to the service shop and have them check the energy coming from it.

55stone
04-16-2010, 08:31 PM
everyones leaning towards electrical.. that would make sence.. but no rag and not the teater also no reverse on this year and.. so maybe just try and new plug and also is there anyway i can check the coil my self.. multimeter or something..

NMills
04-16-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm not sure about that... tho you can probably google a method if no one responds quick enough.... or... if you have a buddy with a running machine like your's... then maybe ask to use his for a few... atleast that way you'd know if that was your problem...

55stone
04-16-2010, 09:13 PM
ya maybe i will just borrow someones.. i really hope its not that.. i hope its something i can fix without buying anything lol.. really need to get this thing finished so i can get another toy..

slightlybent47
04-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Hey I just remembered that one day when I washed mine there is a relay or something on the left hand side down by swing arm bolt. And that got wet and it wouldn’t start.
Also one time it would not start and it was a plug in the bundle of wires by the battery. One of the wires came unplugged.

Wr3sTl3b0y
04-17-2010, 09:35 AM
is their anything special needed to be done for a stge 2 camshaft bc i got one installed and by the looks of it i got a ton of metal shavings in my oil and it barely starts after like 30 seconds of turning it over ? maybe its the bigger pilot i put it

slightlybent47
04-17-2010, 11:52 AM
The metal shavings are normal for a fresh rebuild. When you change the oil it will look like it has metal flake floating in with the oil. That should clear up after it gets about 10 hours or so on it.