View Full Version : car audio help!

rollie
04-16-2010, 02:37 PM
I have two sony xplod 12's and a xplod 1200watt amp, had this set up for a couple years now with no problems, now when i turn the key with the radio off, the light on the amp turns green, as soon as i turn the radio on the subs work for just a second then the light turns red and they do absolutely nothing, if i take the ground off and hook it back up it works again for a second,any ideas????

c_olive18
04-16-2010, 02:39 PM
Check all your connections. You may also have had a wire rub through its insulation and is grounding out somewhere. Has the amp overheated? Check all the fuse on the amp too. It could also be the wires going to your subs could be backwards.

TRX_450
04-16-2010, 03:41 PM
youve got blown outputs or switchers. 150-175 to repair.

juice420
04-17-2010, 03:46 PM
you got some bad RCA outputs on your radio bud.

04-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Has nothing to do with the RCA outputs on your radio. The amp is going into protect mode. In other words you fried your amp. Time to buy a new one.

juice420
04-17-2010, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by YFZ-DunerUtah
Has nothing to do with the RCA outputs on your radio. The amp is going into protect mode. In other words you fried your amp. Time to buy a new one.
He said its fine until he turns the radio on, did you even read his post? I been messing with car audio for about 12 years i tend to think i know a little about the stuff. dont buy another amp, try a diff. radio and see if it works.

Regular_Joe
04-17-2010, 04:46 PM
IMO, the amp shouldn't be doing anything if the radio is off. Only when the radio is on should the remote wire tell the amp to turn on. The key tells the radio it CAN come on or not. The radio tells the amp to come on only if it is on. If the key is on, the radio is off, and the amp is on, then something is wired wrong. While this may have worked before, it really would cause me to question how good the install is to begin with.

Kickstarts-suck
04-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Did you do the toggle switch for the remote wire trick?

BakerRacing40
04-18-2010, 07:24 AM
pull your head unit unplug your rca wires.
have a new set or rca wires and plug them in and without routing or doing anything else, plug them in your amp.

had a similar set up ages ago and every time there was any problem, it was the rca wires. eventually i learned that wally world is not a good place to keep buying install stuff at... :cool:

rollie
04-18-2010, 06:47 PM
i forgot to mention that i have a stock deck, with a wire running to the back of the amp, which goes into an output converter to switch it to RCA, to plug into my amp again? maybe my output converter is junk, ill try to switch that out if that does work i'll have to get a new deck.

thanks for all your help guys i dont know much about this so i really appreciate it

ssedwick
04-18-2010, 08:43 PM
My amp did this to me about two weeks ago. Its also a Sony amp. I researched it online, took it to my local professional car audio place, and they all told me that Sony amps all have a defect and this sometimes just randomly happens. I don't remember what the problem is specifically, but your amp is junk now. It will be like $200 to fix it but there is no guarantee that it won't happen again, so it would be best to buy a new one.