PDA

View Full Version : Best way to deal with a cracked crankcase?

Vampire2800
04-16-2010, 10:06 AM
My crankcase is cracked at the very back where the swing arm pivot bolt runs through it. Some dealers are telling me to just weld it up & I'll be fine & some say that I need a whole new crankcase housing. I can't see where the very back of the crankcase supports any weight, though. It looks like they just extended it out so that it would look better. The crack is not very big & is only on the right side (brake side) of the housing. WHat would ya'll do with it?

ldjbuff
04-17-2010, 10:50 AM
I had a similar crack,put in JB weld and it held for A while. I did have to end up buying new cases after a month or so.

You can find some cases on Ebay for fairly cheap

or here is some

http://www.yfztech.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22936

Vampire2800
04-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Will a 2009 yfz450r crankcase fit on a 2010?

I'm not talking about JB Weld, either. I have a buddy who has a Heliarc machine & welds pretty good, too. If I'm gonna weld it, I might as well do it right.

upyours
04-25-2010, 05:07 PM
if you are gonna weld it your gonna have to take it apart any way and weld it inside and out in order to correctly weld it, if it were me i would just replace it

Vampire2800
04-26-2010, 07:19 AM
I'm not sure how you could weld it from the inside. It'd be an awfully tight fit. The swing arm pivot bolt is only like 1" diameter which would be the same size as the hole you'd have to get a rod in to weld it up from the inside. I'll probably just replace it later in the year. It rides just fine right now. I'm too afraid to jump or do anything too taxing on it right now, anyway. Mainly just stunts & crap like that for now.