PDA

View Full Version : 03-clutch or bad trans?

tjchris3
04-15-2010, 11:46 PM
Whats up guy's im new here and new to quads. I just traded my bike for a 03 pred and i have a few questions..... after the trade i found this site and found out about the bad trans on 03 preds.

So my first question is when i get on the gas hard, mostly in 2nd or 3rd, it will rev up quite a bit then take off like a bat outta hell. The guy i traded said he thought the clutch was going out and gave me a new one so what do you think... clutch or trans?

#2 How many gears does this thing have.... i can only find 3 but it will do about 70 mph at least.

#3 The tip of the exhaust is different then anything i can find on e-bay. It has all the guts ripped out, no spark arrester, and sounds pretty obnoxious. I was looking for a new one but all I can find are round with 3 screws. Mine is oval with a lot of screws but it says polaris on it so i'm assuming its stock.... where can i get one that fits?

Thanks in advance guys and hopefully i can get some answers....

mycat8urskidoo
04-16-2010, 06:51 AM
you should definately have 5 gears, your slipping sypmptoms you mentioned point towards a clutch, but with only 3 gears im going to lean towards a tranny issue.

mycat8urskidoo
04-16-2010, 06:53 AM
If its a polished looking exhaust it could be a pure polaris exhaust , which i believe is factory aftermarket, but i could be wrong , my exhaust on my 03 is just a steel can, doesnt say anything anywhere

tjchris3
04-16-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks guys. So i'm posititve i can only find 3 gears... 1 down and 2 up...so should i put the clutch in and see what happens or what should a do? Is there anyway i can be sure its a bad tranny? Also what normaly goes bad with them? Thanks

Also my pipe does say pure polaris on it. So its after market from polaris huh. Guess ill have to get with the dealer about it. Thanks

tjchris3
05-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Well i guess i will update this post for anyone who might have the same issues. It quad would rev up then finally take off so i figured it was the clutch.
I pulled it apart and the clutch looked fine to me. The oil was black as night (guess the PO didnt beleave in changing oil). So after inspecting the clutch i put it back in and put everything back together. Once it was together it would shift through all 5 gears like new. So i fired it up and went for a ride...........
Bad news... it was now slipping worse then before.
So pulled it all back apart and decided to throw the new clutch i had in it. I noticed the springs on the old one were shorter then then the new ones and the new clutch plates themselves were thicker then the old one. So put everything back together and was time for a test ride.......
HOLY COW..... it rides nice now. Absolutley no slippage of the clutch!! It would try to throw me off the back when i took off!
So i was talking to a buddy of mine who is a mechanic and he said that the clutch wolud slip really bad if it had ever gotten too hot. That it would ruin the clutch and the springs so thats probably what happened with it while the PO had it.

katch26
05-04-2010, 12:35 PM
good deal bro......congrats to you for sticking it out and finding your problem and fixing it. Its a fun bike good luck with it and ride safe!
Mike

tjchris3
05-05-2010, 12:25 AM
Well i guess i will update this post for anyone who might have the same issues. It quad would rev up then finally take off so i figured it was the clutch.
I pulled it apart and the clutch looked fine to me. The oil was black as night (guess the PO didnt beleave in changing oil). So after inspecting the clutch i put it back in and put everything back together. Once it was together it would shift through all 5 gears like new. So i fired it up and went for a ride...........
Bad news... it was now slipping worse then before.
So pulled it all back apart and decided to throw the new clutch i had in it. I noticed the springs on the old one were shorter then then the new ones and the new clutch plates themselves were thicker then the old one. So put everything back together and was time for a test ride.......
HOLY COW..... it rides nice now. Absolutley no slippage of the clutch!! It would try to throw me off the back when i took off!
So i was talking to a buddy of mine who is a mechanic and he said that the clutch wolud slip really bad if it had ever gotten too hot. That it would ruin the clutch and the springs so thats probably what happened with it while the PO had it.