PDA

View Full Version : valve guides

bodfper
04-15-2010, 08:34 PM
I Took the old valve guides out with alot of grief, so instead of me putting them in I had an intelligent VW mechanic install them. He managed to get three in and the 4th was almost in and broke the tip off where the valve seal goes. The one that broke off was in the exhaust. According to him this should be fine with no seal and it should not have a problem with oil leakage because there is no vacuum when the exhaust valves are open. This does make sense however I wanted to see what you guys thought about it. WHAT WOULD YOU DO IN MY SITUATION?

HondaRaceReady
04-15-2010, 08:52 PM
How credible is this mechanic? Im just wondering why you both had so much trouble installing valve guides. Did you heat up the cylinder head first? Anyway I dont think honda would put valve seals on the exhaust valves if they didnt need it.

bodfper
04-16-2010, 06:27 AM
Well he is about 70 years old and has been a mechanic all of his life but Doesnt it make sense that it wouldnt need a seal on the exhaust valve because they are closed when there is a vacuum? And yes I did heat it up before taking them out but I didnt have the proper valve guide remover so it made a damn mess so I wanted somebody to do it that knew what they were doing, but he ended up breaking one as well because the guides are so fragile.