PDA

View Full Version : What to clean the engine/chassis with

oynot400
08-03-2001, 10:31 PM
Ok I am starting to get depressed seeing pics of these clean quads. I would like to know what you all are using to clean the enging, swingarm, frame, ect. with. I can use soap and water along with a couple of hours scrubbing to get it to look ok. I have tried engine degreaser with no luck. Let me know what you guys use. Thanks

xcntry
08-03-2001, 10:49 PM
I use simple green on my frame and engine when it gets really dirty it seems to do the trick pretty good. Then just wash the plastic with soap and water. Also on some of the other posts they say to use mop&glo to really make it shine but i havent tried that yet.

400exBro
08-04-2001, 09:54 AM
I use WD40 on my header pipe and engine swing arm, but do not use it on your palstic!!!!

crday98
08-04-2001, 03:07 PM
i use greez-off on everything but the plastics.it is far better than mean green or simple green.it made my chain wax covered swingarm look new with no scrubbing.

08-04-2001, 08:37 PM
i luckily own a powerful power washer, but i first scrub the main junk off with a brush (briefly) then i power was it. i have found that scrubbing before powerwashing cleans alot better! hope you shine your S.O.B. up (L.O.L.) :macho

coryatver
08-04-2001, 09:03 PM
I use WD-40 like its goin out of style but that stuff sure smells when it burns!

300exrider99
08-05-2001, 08:30 AM
I clean every thing with WD-40 except the plastic and wheels. I clean the wheels and plastic with Black Magic Foaming Tire Wet the kind in the aerosol can (sorry for my spelling) you have to wipe it off of the plastic but not the tires. Then right before i go riding i put a coat of WD-40 on the under side of the fenders to stop the mud from sticking. Oh and by the way I love the smell of WD-40 as it burns off of the exhaust system.

-Scott

hetrick425ex
08-05-2001, 11:39 PM
THE ONLY STUFF I USE IS MEAN GREEN TO GET THE MUD OFF...I SWEAR BY THAT STUFFF... YOU CAN BUY A GALLON OF IT FOR $5 AT THE LOCAL DOLLAR STORE AND THE STUFF WORKS BETTER THAN ANYTHING IVE TRIED. THEN ONCE ITS OFFF I USE TURTLEWAX FORMULA 2001 ON THE PLASTIC JUST KEEP IT OFF THE SEAT!!!! I LEARNED THE HARDWAY...:devil

08-07-2001, 10:31 AM
One word: Diesel

knighttime
08-07-2001, 10:59 AM
Do you mean that you clean the engine and chassis with straight diesel fuel? Please explain. I could imagine how diesel could work well.

08-07-2001, 01:18 PM
I use it for most things around the garage and it works pretty good. Since the flash point is so high, it's safe to keep around in a little 1 gal. gas can and it makes for a dirt-cheap cleaner that you can find anywhere. I use it with a long-bristle nylon toothbrush-looking brush where scrubbing is needed, but most dirt and grime wipes or rinses right off.