PDA

View Full Version : baffle out

jlrenken
04-15-2010, 11:32 AM
i have an 08 er and was wondering if i were to take the baffle out if it would give alittle more power or is it just a waist of time.
thanks

Scro
04-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Waste of time, in my opinion. It will sound awful, and you probably won't feel a difference. Even if you do rejet.

jlrenken
04-15-2010, 11:35 AM
thanks i was just wondering

buddy willard
05-02-2010, 07:44 AM
i have an 08 450r and i took the baffle out went 4 sizes up on the main jet(mine was a 122 main from factory) and did the green wire mod and opened up the breather box lid some and i could tell a diffrence. and it sounds fine to me.

darwood300ex
05-02-2010, 08:58 PM
you need to take the baffle completely out. I mean take the whole thing that bolts into the end of the pipe out and then put your end cap back on (bike will be extremely loud!!!)... take air box lid off, green wire mod and rejet to #165 main, one size larger pilot jet (I used the stock pilot jet but its out like 3 turns...I need to go one size larger at this point), and a #50 or #48 leak jet... You should put down anywhere from + 4-8 HP... Throw in a cam and you will really be movin then!

arad
05-03-2010, 12:02 AM
probably a stupid question but how bad is it if you take out the spark arrestor and don't re-jet?

darwood300ex
05-03-2010, 06:24 AM
have you ever seen a melted piston...? It is very lean on top end if you don't rejet and your pipe will be glowing red red red hot if you don't adjust your fuel screw and or change your pilot jet...

BlaineKaiser450
05-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Just get an exhaust and rejet. There isn't really much to gain from just taking the baffle out

buddy willard
05-06-2010, 03:50 AM
easly said when you have a sponsor! you will notice a diffrence.

darwood300ex
05-06-2010, 07:05 AM
dude really??? are you serious right now? please don't get on here saying stupid stuff that is not true when you obviously don't know what you are talking about. why would HRC have you take out the baffle if it did nothing....? just because? i don't think so. So anyway, you are going to see about the same gains as buying expensive exhaust if you do what i listed above about the baffle and rejet. anyone who says different is just plain lying. have you ever looked inside the stock muffler with the baffle and spark arrestor taken out? it is basically a straight pipe fellas. Trust the numbers I gave above and if you don't, come to the track and i will take my carb apart and show you myself...

darwood300ex
05-06-2010, 07:14 AM
dude really??? are you serious right now? please don't get on here saying stupid stuff that is not true when you obviously don't know what you are talking about. why would HRC have you take out the baffle if it did nothing....? just because? i don't think so. So anyway, you are going to see about the same gains as buying expensive exhaust if you do what i listed above about the baffle and rejet. anyone who says different is just plain lying. have you ever looked inside the stock muffler with the baffle and spark arrestor taken out? it is basically a straight pipe fellas. Trust the numbers I gave above and if you don't, come to the track and i will take my carb apart and show you myself... buddy willard is obviously a smart man too!

BlaineKaiser450
05-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by darwood300ex
dude really??? are you serious right now? please don't get on here saying stupid stuff that is not true when you obviously don't know what you are talking about. why would HRC have you take out the baffle if it did nothing....? just because? i don't think so. So anyway, you are going to see about the same gains as buying expensive exhaust if you do what i listed above about the baffle and rejet. anyone who says different is just plain lying. have you ever looked inside the stock muffler with the baffle and spark arrestor taken out? it is basically a straight pipe fellas. Trust the numbers I gave above and if you don't, come to the track and i will take my carb apart and show you myself... buddy willard is obviously a smart man too! If this is directed at me, You have no grounds saying that I don't know what I am talking about. I have been riding the Honda 450's since 2006, and have worked on various honda motors, both the 04/05 and the 06+. The stock exhaust is very restrictive and is nowhere near a straight pipe. Taking the baffle out helps with the HRC kit because that offers jetting, a cam, and a header as well. But even then there will still be a minimal difference (in the baffle, not the kit. The HRC kit helps a lot). If all you do is take the baffle out, it will offer no noticable gains on the butt dyno, and it will fry your piston. Even if you rejet as well, it will not be on par with an "expensive exhaust." Put a Sparks and jet it accordingly on a quad, then put the stock exhaust without the baffle and jet that accordingly, then come tell me how it's the same thing.

exrider12
05-06-2010, 06:34 PM
dude really??? are you serious right now? please don't get on here saying stupid stuff that is not true when you obviously don't know what you are talking about. why would HRC have you take out the baffle if it did nothing....? just because? i don't think so. So anyway, you are going to see about the same gains as buying expensive exhaust if you do what i listed above about the baffle and rejet. anyone who says different is just plain lying. have you ever looked inside the stock muffler with the baffle and spark arrestor taken out? it is basically a straight pipe fellas. Trust the numbers I gave above and if you don't, come to the track and i will take my carb apart and show you myself... buddy willard is obviously a smart man too!

If you think the baffle out of the stock exhaust is the same as lets say a Sparks, Dasa or Rossier pipe your out of your mind. :huh

Scro
05-06-2010, 07:37 PM
dude really??? are you serious right now? please don't get on here saying stupid stuff that is not true when you obviously don't know what you are talking about. why would HRC have you take out the baffle if it did nothing....? just because? i don't think so. So anyway, you are going to see about the same gains as buying expensive exhaust if you do what i listed above about the baffle and rejet. anyone who says different is just plain lying. have you ever looked inside the stock muffler with the baffle and spark arrestor taken out? it is basically a straight pipe fellas. Trust the numbers I gave above and if you don't, come to the track and i will take my carb apart and show you myself...

Simply taking the baffle out and rejetting isn't going to give you much of a power increase. Out of the stuff you listed, taking the lid off made a majority of the difference in power.

atv fan 28
05-06-2010, 10:10 PM
dude really??? are you serious right now? please don't get on here saying stupid stuff that is not true when you obviously don't know what you are talking about. why would HRC have you take out the baffle if it did nothing....? just because? i don't think so. So anyway, you are going to see about the same gains as buying expensive exhaust if you do what i listed above about the baffle and rejet. anyone who says different is just plain lying. have you ever looked inside the stock muffler with the baffle and spark arrestor taken out? it is basically a straight pipe fellas. Trust the numbers I gave above and if you don't, come to the track and i will take my carb apart and show you myself... i knew i wasted money on my Rossier!

buddy willard
05-07-2010, 05:00 AM
been riding mine since november 11 2008 and did not rejet till about 2 months ago with no melted piston no damage to motor and still plenty of power so somebody does not know what they are talking about. mine runs great!:blah:

DnB_racing
05-07-2010, 06:46 AM
buddy just stop while your ahead! that's great that you have no problems. But its not the best system for the 450 if that's all you need for performance to win that's good you must be a better rider than me.I personally need all the help I can get and the stock isn't enough for me know matter what I do to it, all the motor builders aren't wrong

darwood300ex
05-07-2010, 07:02 AM
OK, TALK IS CHEAP AND I AM JUST TRYING TO HELP A GUY ON A BUDGET OUT BUT YOU GUYS ARE OBVIOUSLY SINGLE MINDED AND SIMPLE...TRUSTING ONLY WHAT SOMEONE TELLS YOU...

NOW TO THE MATTERS AT HAND.

NO SLIP ON EXHAUST OF ANY KIND CREATES ENOUGH POWER TO BE NOTICIBLE WITHOUT OTHER MODIFICATIONS TO ACCENTUATE THE OPENED UP EXHAUST FLOW- AIR IN, AIR OUT. SAME PRINCIPLE WITH A CAM- IF YOU PORT YOUR HEAD +2MM INTAKE AND EXHAUST YOU WILL SEE THE BIGGEST PEAK HP INCREASE BUT WILL LOSE SOME TORQUE. IF YOU GO +2MM EXHAUST AND ONLY +1 INTAKE, YOU WILL SEE THE BIGGEST TORQUE INCREASE. SO THE CAM ALONE IS A PRETTY SLIGHT MOD FOR THESE MOTORS AS WELL WITHOUT OTHER MODS STACKED WITH IT, SO YES... OPENING UP THE AIRBOX LID DID HELP GAIN HP WITH THE OPENED UP EXHAUST.

AS FAR AS THE STOCK PIPE MAKING AS MUCH POWER AS OTHER PIPES, THAT IS JUST A PISSING CONTEST UNLESS SOMEONE POSTS DYNO NUMBERS.

I DIDN'T SAY THAT JUST OPENING UP YOUR EXHAUST WILL MELT YOUR PISTON WITHOUT A REJET. I WAS TRYING TO SAY THAT IF YOU OPEN UP YOUR AIR BOX AND STOCK EXHAUST IT WILL DEFINATELY, DEFINATELY BE RUNNING LEAN AS HELL. TOO LEAN = DAMAGE TO PISTON / CYINLDER... NO ONE CAN DENY THAT FACT.

THE STOCK CANISTER IS A COMPLETELY OPEN CHAMBER WITH (2) IN SEQUENCE RESTRICTION DISCS. OTHER EXHAUST DESIGNS ARE COMPRISED OF A PERFORATED STEEL TUBING THAT THE AIR CATHCHES ON EVERY HOLE. BOTH STOCK AND AFTER MARKET HAVE BASICALLY OPEN EXHAUST DESIGN BUT BOTH HAVE AREAS OF RESTRICTION AND TURBULENCE. THE AFTERMARKET HAS OBVIOUSLY DESIGNED THESE TO MAKE GOOD POWER AND IM NOT DENYING THAT. ALL I AM SAYING IS THAT FOR THE MONEY, THERE IS LITTLE DIFFERENCE TO TELL BETWEEN THE STOCK OPENED UP AND A SLIP ON AFTERMARKET.

darwood300ex
05-07-2010, 07:15 AM
i said that backwards, if you go +2 intake and only +1 exhaust you will see the biggest torque numbers. sorry

Scro
05-07-2010, 07:33 AM
TRUSTING ONLY WHAT SOMEONE TELLS YOU...

Before you spouting at the mouth and yelling at everyone - I've been working on these motors since they came out in late 2003. I could take one apart and put it back together with my eyes closed while getting my knob slobbed. The stock exhausts on these machines are junk, whether you can see the straight pipe going through it or not. They weigh more, make less power, and certainly don't sound or look as good.

There's no reason to try and impress us with your knowledge about valves, cams, or whatever else. Because, frankly, it doesn't. The guy was simply asking about a baffle.

darwood300ex
05-07-2010, 07:44 AM
Haha scro... but taking motors apart while getting blown is very impressive!!! you are a funny guy. and remember, knowledge is key. P.S. I can take one apart and put it back together too. most people who can didn't even finish high school!

DnB_racing
05-07-2010, 07:45 AM
Scro dont let people draw you into silly arguments you know your right and if people dont want your opinion that's where they are wrong,

darwood300ex
05-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Like I said before, I am not trying to be an ***, I am just trying to help people out with a budget. Most people can not afford to buy $250 + exhaust that you can get close to the same for the cost of jets only...

Sorry if anyone can not understand that but I was just trying to help.

And yes, aftermarket exhaust on certain builds will produce more power thatn a stock. But stock on certain builds can produce just the same, but not better I am sure, than aftermarket.

DnB_racing
05-07-2010, 08:20 AM
nicely said darwood! if you put that way first there would have been no arguments.Remember that sometimes your words are interpreted different than you thought they wouldbe. we are all here to offer our advice and to learn from others sometimes mistakes when we stop learning we aren't any good to anybody

darwood300ex
05-07-2010, 08:26 AM
agreed!!

darwood300ex
05-08-2010, 03:25 PM
also my bike is an 07 er... looking back on this post, the only 08's ive seen have aftermarket exhaust so i don't even know if the 08 has the same stock muffler as mine...

airmobile101
05-09-2010, 04:04 AM
Pulling a baffle out can increase horsepower, but I think that really depends on alot of different factors depending on location, temp., altitude, etc........... I personally wouldn't do it. Usually, when you do that, you need to unrestrict the intake a little bit more and re-jet the carb.

Now, I have a weekend warrior buddy that did it to his 05 450r, and to this day, he still runs that bike with no baffle. His head pipe never turns cherry red, no intake mod or anything. CRAZY!

Not trying to start anything either, that just what I know.:D

darwood300ex
05-10-2010, 06:58 AM
You are correct, no slip on or opening up the stock exhaust will show much increase without other mods like in my eirlier post. You reiterated what i wrote earlier. But elevation and environmental factors are all relative. You will face these issues no matter what setup you are running(stock opened up or aftermarket). So to say that is not very accurate as far as being a factor for increasing horsepower. Unless of course if you were jetted way too rich from the factory. lets say you buy your bike in oklahoma, but then take it to the rockies to ride... you would be jetted too rich at this point. opening up the exhaust may actually give you an increase in power without re-jetting!

And no, your friends 05 shouldn't have been running that lean if all he did was take out the baffle. airbox lid off and baffle removal is what got mine running lean.