View Full Version : Long Travel Suspension vs Regular

Rich243
04-15-2010, 09:47 AM
My son is starting (probably has been) to ride to the point of needing better than stock shocks. My question is do I get shocks on the quad as is or do I make the jump straight to long travel. He is not to the point of needing the long travel but if I am going to have to make that change in a year or 2.......

At what age do most riders change over...or is there an age or just a level of speed?

Is there a significant difference with the long travel?

Info - Andrew will be 7 in June. 55lbs. Rides a pretty strong Drr Drx 70. He broke an axle last week and was jumping right at 28 feet on the table top for several jumps before it broke. He rides the SE Quad regional series and rides big tracks like Mill Creek.

Opinions / Comments please.

Thanks,

THARNESS
04-15-2010, 10:09 AM
If he is breaking axles, it won't be long before he is breaking swingarms,frames and everything else under the sun with the stock set-up. No doubt that different shocks would greatly improve the stock suspension it would be a big waste of money to buy shocks now then purchase new ones when you need to upgrade the a-arms and swinger. If you can, just bite the bullit now and buy a suspension and shock set-up and be done with that. It will make your kid safer and faster.

zach R 7x
04-15-2010, 12:07 PM
IMHO,there never to young for long travel suspension.

Get the frame gusseted and with the right suspension you will not have to update for a long time.

marsrace2
04-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Great investment just do the whole thing now and it will be with you for a long time to come, even when you move him up to a 90.

RCR_531
04-15-2010, 07:04 PM
Jon from Elka told me that they can rebuild the shocks for the different travel or Quads. They use the the top end of the shock and replace the lower to what ever the need is. This is how I toke it when we talked at the Dealer show in Indy but I may have heard it wrong. I am no shock exp buit we just put a set on my boys 50 and i can't believe how faster is going.

nastynotchback1
04-15-2010, 07:49 PM
i would jump straight to the long travel set-up.you cannot have to much suspension.you can only have too little.

Rich243
04-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Do you have it on Tanners?

And if so, what kind.

nastynotchback1
04-16-2010, 07:35 AM
we have the DC/PEP combo on the kasea standard travel.On the 70mod we have Snyders/Elka long travel.The snyders set-up works great.

edwardsp&b
04-16-2010, 09:56 PM
Rich, next time you see Ben ask him about long travel vs. standard travel. He says its like night and day. Bottom line, more travel means more comfortable ride which means faster lap times. Plus its safer. Break down and buy long travel.
Bryan

Rich243
04-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Bryan,

Give Eric the info on what arms and swinger you are running. Are you changing shocks? Would you be interested in selling the elka's you are running now? Good luck this weekend. Tell ben and everyone to go get em!!!

edwardsp&b
04-17-2010, 09:47 PM
At the end of the season we will go with motowoz. I've seen the light, so to speak. I will be selling off at least a set. Probably will be the standards. I'll tell the boys good luck for you. It amazes me how much talent there is on the circuit. These boys can roll.
Bryan